We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marco Island Vacation Review

Dublin
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Marco Island Vacation Review

Thanks to everybody who has posted tips on Marco Island on this forum which we found really useful. We have just arrived back in Ireland after a fantastic 16 night holiday and wanted to share some of the highlights with you all:

The Beaches - wow! special thanks to Marco Red who checked out the parking permit info for us. We purchased our permit on the first day from the attendant at Tigertail beach for $49, and it proved to be great value for money for us. We used it for Tigertail, South beach, and the pier in Naples so it paid for itself very quickly. The beaches were truly beautiful with white sands and blue seas, and we really enjoyed collecting the shells.

The Food - we loved Joey's Pizza and pasta restaurant, and would recommend the breakfast at Sue's Diner. I don't think we missed an evening where we didn't visit the Esplanade and sample a Coldstone Creamery Shake or ice cream. We also had a lovely lunch at the Snook Inn, and sampled Michelbobs ribs.

Tours - The Marco Princess boat tour from the Marina is definitely worth doing. We did the Saturday lunchtime tour, which cost $30 for 2 hours on a beautiful boat. For an extra $10 you can have a buffet lunch on the boat and this looked very nice. The crew were excellent and really informative, and we saw dolphins, manatees, osprey and learned loads about the island.

Trips - We would highly recommend the trip to Shark Valley. It is approx 1 hour east on I41 and you can hire a bike and cycle around or take a ranger led tour, which we did. We had never seen alligators in the wild before and thought this was amazing. On the way back we drove on the loop road which is a 26 mile drive on a small road which leaves I41 and there are markers along this where you get to see alligators in the swamps, which are on either side of the road. One word of warning - the condition of the road is bad with a lot of large potholes and these were full of water following rain the previous night. We had an SUV so it was no problem,but I wouldn't like to have driven this in a midsize vehicle as some brave tourists did.

Movies at Marco - We really enjoyed this and had some lovely food whilst watching a good thriller in very comfortable seats.

Once again, thanks to Marco Red, Turnerbudd, JackiePaddy and all of the other people who regulary post on his forum as we found it invaluable when preparing for are holiday - roll on 2010.

Dreamlander Tours
Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
The Dolphin Explorer
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Breakwater Adventures
River Rafting & Tubing, Boat Tours, Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Private Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
435 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marco Island Vacation Review

Nice review.........glad you enjoyed Marco Island. We visit there a couple of times a year.........

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marco Island Vacation Review

Thanks for coming back and sharing your experience.

I've been to Marco on vacation 30-40 times and realize I basically do beach and family activities.

Once I'm on that beautiful beach the time flies and I never get off the island to explore.

I've got a one page list of "Must Do's" on my next trip and I never do them. This happens on every trip. I bring that list down again and don't get anything crossed off the list.

So you can come down to Marco for years and years and never see all the great places and do all the great SW FL things.

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
958 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marco Island Vacation Review

Nice review - really pleased to hear you enjoyed your time on Marco. Also interested to hear about your trip to Shark Valley - we have not done this before & fully intend to visit in August (could be a tad warm for cycling though....we'll see!)

How long was your $49 parking permit valid for? - we will be on Marco for 21 nights in August and if previous trips are anything to go buy, barely a day will go by without a trip to S. Beach / Tigertail or Naples Pier so it should almost certainly save us money (and the hassle of finding change for the daily pay machines!)

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marco Island Vacation Review

Pat and Susan - Your post actually made me cry. I had a flashback. When I sent my son off to Dublin to study at Trinity College, I found much comfort in the responses I got on the TA forum from Dublin. The people of Dublin were so amazing. He went knowing not a single soul. I was scared to death because it was a time of "Ugly Americans." The people of Dublin welcomed him with open arms. He made a lot of friends who are more than welcome in our home. And some have come and visited. We will be eternally grateful to the people of Dublin forever. So if we helped you in some small way for your visit to Marco, I'm glad. But, it can never repay what you did for my child.

Dublin
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marco Island Vacation Review

Whyone

The parking permit lasts for 12 months and is a very convenient hassle-free way of parking at the various beaches. The attendant will stick it to the inside of your widescreen.

Regards

Pat

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
958 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marco Island Vacation Review

That is excellent - all these years visiting Marco & I didn't know about this. No more parking ticket machines - brilliant!!!

Many thanks Pat.

Marco Island,FL
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marco Island Vacation Review

"stick it to the inside of your windshield" Did I translate the correctly? If you have a rental car (car hire) is the sticker a problem when you return the vehicle. Or did the attendant just place the sticker on the inside of the windshield without permanently sticking in place?

Dublin
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marco Island Vacation Review

Marcohomes

The attendant 'sticks' it to the windshield (it has a sticky back). As far the car rental company? Well, I have no idea! I simply handed my car back and didn't bring it to their attention. I'm sure them deal with matters on a regular basis.

Regards

Pat

9. Re: Marco Island Vacation Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2009, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Marco Island