We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering Marco for our next vaca with two kids under 7

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Considering Marco for our next vaca with two kids under 7

Hi everyone, I must say I love these Tripadvisor forums as everyone on here is so helpful! Just to give you our background so you can give better advice :), we spent two summers vacationing on Siesta Key and Anna Maria Island. We love being able to rent a house with our own pool, which was easier on Anna Maria, but we found the island a little too slow. It was hard to find an open ice cream shop in the summer and no mini golf to be found. So, this past week we went to Myrtle Beach which has almost too much to do!!! I found I miss my FL gulf coast beaches and beautiful sunsets so next year we will go back to Florida. I've heard great things about Marco Island and have found a house I would love to stay in.... but I'm just hesitant about what we could find to do with our kids-- its fun to squeeze in one museum, mini golf or some kind of indoor activity to break up the sun time. How far of a drive would those things be? Is there mini golf and ice cream shops on the island?

Thanks for the advice!

London
Level Contributor
236 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering Marco for our next vaca with two kids under 7

What a coincidence!

I just happened to be searching for mini golf too! I've found a couple but the nearest appears to be in Naples. According to google maps from Marco it's about 30-40 min drive.

This is the website:

http://coralcaygolf.com/

There are some more further up towards Fort Myers.

I guess 30 min drive isn't too bad especially if you decide to then make an evening of it by staying in Naples for dinner.

Re ice cream, on the Island there is a Cold Stone Creamery.

I'm by no means a local, these are just things I looked up on the net as part of my "research" before our trip. So, I'm sure that the experts on this forum will be able to provide much better help.

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
899 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering Marco for our next vaca with two kids under 7

Your research is good - Coral Cay is the closest mini-golf to Marco. A 30 min. drive on a good day.

Be sure to pick up coupon leaflets if you go - they invariably include $5 per person discounts.

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering Marco for our next vaca with two kids under 7

Combine the Naples zoo and the Naples Pier in with your trip for mini golf and you'll have a complete day!

http://NaplesZoo.com

Randy

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering Marco for our next vaca with two kids under 7

If you're looking for a relaxing beach, fun in the sun vacation in a tropical, beautiful paradise, then Marco Island is the place. True, not many non-beach kid activities on the Island but Naples is close by.

Several great ice cream spots on the Island including Sweet Annie's, Chocolate Strawberry and Coldstone Creamery.

Movie theater that serves food and drink.

I recommend the scenic drive south to Everglades City if you enjoy museums, sightseeing and maybe some alligator sitings and an airboat ride.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering Marco for our next vaca with two kids under 7

Here is a Examiner article about "Babe's in Paradise" ... children on Marco and Naples.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2800-Kansas-City-Getaways-Examiner~y2009m5d25-Babes-in-Paradise-Kids-have-fun-in-Naples-and-Marco-Island-Florida

Florida
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Considering Marco for our next vaca with two kids under 7

I just came accross this forum while searching for summer restaurant deals. I live on Marco and have 4 children under 10. We love summer on Marco. It is really the only time we go to the beach. The water is nice and warm, the streets are not crowded, it is very warm, but perfect for summer fun. The mini golf is in Naples, but not a bad drive(about 25-30min). There is also a great county water park called "Sun-n-fun", that is really great place to go(about 40min drive). Look it up under Collier county parks. In that same area, is a place my kids love called "King Richard's" which is very small amusement park with fair-type rides. Here is a link: http://www.kingrichardspark.net/. It is a bit cheesy, but my kids love it, kids on Marco often have birthday parties here, always a hit. The island does not have alot of the activities I have just described, but we have a wonderful park with a new spray water park(where water sprays from ground). The beach is nice, we have a movie theater, ice cream shops(including Cold Stone/local owned shop), many local owned restaurants, and small shops. The Island is small, but has many establishments. Let me know if you need more info. Hope you vacation plans work out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
930 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Considering Marco for our next vaca with two kids under 7

When we visited with grandchildren, they found plenty to keep them occupied. There is a small swing area at Tigertail Beach next to the car park and a place to have refeshments or a light lunch. (don't know about summer opening hours though) There are rest rooms there too. Shelling tours to a small island are a great way to spend a morning, but you can collect plenty just walking along that wonderful beach.

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Considering Marco for our next vaca with two kids under 7

It does seem like we will find enough to do :) One of the houses I looked at to rent mentioned that you can do mini-golf at the Marriott? Perhaps they let non-guests pay, anyone know about that? It seems like a good idea to be walking distance to the Marriott as the hotel have several restaurants as well... WOuld that area be better ot walking distance to Tigertail? I found a beautiful house on Hernando but the map doesn't really show anything around there....

The splash park and playgrounds are great ideas too.

Truthfully we love Florida in the summer-- no crowds, cheaper prices and its the weather you want to swim in.

Thanks for all your help.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Considering Marco for our next vaca with two kids under 7

We always stay on Hernando as we prefer to be within walking distance to Tiger Tail Beach and The Esplanade (for coffee, drinks, sites). Its a beautiful residential neighborhood. Very quiet even though there are several rental homes located with full-time residential homes.

Hernando is a nice central location on the Island, I think. Quick drive (or bike ride) out to Collier Boulevard and access to all.

Northern Virginia
Level Contributor
71 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Considering Marco for our next vaca with two kids under 7

What is the Esplanade? My only concern about the house I found on Hernando ist that it doesn't come with beach gear.. and I just wonder how much $ that will add up if we have to rent it on Tigertail every day.....