We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing Charter or Boat Rental?

Mercersburg, PA
Level Contributor
38 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing Charter or Boat Rental?

Thought about renting a boat to fish rather than getting a charter - any thoughts to this? I saw a post where the boat rental place threw in poles, maps, etc.

Florida Adventures and Rentals
Boat Tours, Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Fishing Charters & Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing
Marco Island Princess
Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours
Sunshine Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours
Marco Island,FL
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing Charter or Boat Rental?

A fishing charter will cost you a little more than double that for the rental boat.

Rental boats can not be taken out into the open gulf waters where the artificial reefs are located.

The inland fresh water fishing can be done, however, the fishing charter captain is going to take you back into the natural canals of the Everglades where if you tried to go on your own you would likely get your boat stuck in a mud flat or where you might end up hopelessly lost.....

90% of the time, the fishing action will be better on a charter because you won't know where the fish are currently and on what type of bait or technique they are biting.

Still fishing on the rental can still be fun. Just plan on enjoying the cruise and the scenery while testing your luck fishing.

Randy

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing Charter or Boat Rental?

Life is a crap shoot ... We have all heard and seen the charter boats bringing in fish after fish .... my Dad last February went out with a Charter and 3 buddies and they caught not enough for a meal.

So both charters and rental have merit. If you do the boat rental and don;t caught anything ... remember some charters sometimes bring back zippo.

Marco Island,FL
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing Charter or Boat Rental?

I highly recommend

Capt. Jody Weis

(239) 642-4616

His boat, The Weis Guy II, is anchored 2 boats to the right of Jack's Lookout in the Marco River Marina. I have taken several other charters with mixed results, but Jody has been 3 for 3 (I guess that means he due for a bad trip).

Randy

4. Re: Fishing Charter or Boat Rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2010, 06:17