We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back August 2nd

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
189 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back August 2nd

This was our first trip to Marco...we went with our friends "repeat offenders". We stayed at the Marriot and it was lovely. Big rooms and we were extremely lucky to get an oceanfront view (we saw two weddings from our terrace). The sand is white, never gets hot and it is only shelly right before you enter the water. The water is very calm and you keep going and going and going and it takes a long while just to get waist deep which is good for "babies" like me. Water is perfect for kids. Daughter and hubby did the wave runner and loved it...I just lazed around and loved that too. WARNING- the sun is very intense...I am one who "does not burn" (rolls eyes) and started out with sunscreen 30-went on to 50-then 70 and then went for the kill with SPF 100 (I didn't know there was such a thing). Especially for back areas and chest - you will need the high numbers there. We rented Chicki huts for a couple of days which was very nice and helped with the sun. We got some pretty shells. We ate at Quinns (expensive nothing great but on the beach), hotel buffet (loved but expensive), -Nene's was the best for breakfast and I also liked Chef's Express which was quirky with "sweet pea" running around and the owner very friendly. Hoots for breakfast was a disappointment and I don't get what the fuss was about..it was just average. Verdis and Stan's were closed as was LIttle Bar. We drove to Naples and ate at Chops which was great and another night Roys (very mediocre but the souffle was to die for). Da Vinci was another winner - we ate there twice. Pelican Bend another hidden gem - friendly service, big portions and great food. One night we went to Cathy OClarks because it was a storm and close to the hotel. Would not go back. Went to the Sand Bar for lunch and it wzs "good" but truthfully I don't see how it is rated #4 on Trip Advisor. The beach is warm warm - sometimes like bath water. A lot of the days you see clouds, hear thunder but most of the time it didn't "hit our hotel and didn't rain. When it did rain it usually rained like the rest of Florida around 4-5 o'clock. I overpacked and brought too many shorts because you live in your bathing suit. It was very enjoyable. I wish I was there now.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,876 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back August 2nd

Thank you for the informative report. 8 of us are going to marco marriot on Sunday (8/9-15). It sounds great. I'm making notes on the restaurants you liked. Glad to hear the beach was nice. Did you rent umbrellas at all? The sunscreen I use here is 8. I am already tan, would you suggest a higher number?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
189 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back August 2nd

8 ...you are asking for trouble. I got fried being in the water and not laying down. Umbrellas are free by the pool but you definitely need some sort of respite from the sun so an umbrella would be in order.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back August 2nd

So glad you had a good time. Agree with your descriptions of many of the restaurants. Haven't gone to the "highly rated" breakfast spots in years but we do like Hoots. Just not into the other spots. Sand Bar interestingly has a decent breakfast.

Some spots we go to just for drinks and Cathy O'Clarke's and Quinn's are two of them. Can get better food elsewhere.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back August 2nd

Princess - if you plan to spend the day on the beach, which I highly recommend, then you absolutely want an umbrella. They're $15/day. Room charge only. All the chairs and towels you want are included with your room. Go to the hut on the beach directly in front of Pazzis (the pizza place by the big pool). Tell them what you want (8 lounge chairs, 16 towels, 3 umbrellas, etc.) then go pick your spot on the beach. They'll bring it all out and set it up. I'm from Ohio and a school teacher. I spend all summer at the pool. When we went in August, I took my 8

SPF thinking I would be O.K. I had to buy 30 and 45 SPF there. The sun is so intense and that gorgeous white sand and water make it even more intense. So take at least a 25 and plenty of it. You don't want to get fried and then have to huddle under the umbrella for the next 3 or 4 days. Have a great time!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
17,876 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back August 2nd

Turnerbudd, glad to hear from you. I will bring a stronger suncreen. Thanks for the info on where to get the umbrellas, etc. I love knowing what to do and where to go ahead of time. (Makes me look good in front of my group.) Diane

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back August 2nd

Hello TB ... the Marco sand is so bright you absolutely need sunglasses .... the sand is so white you can't believe it ... a beach goer must experience it.

Hello NJDairy thanks for a full report. You are helping others in their next Marco trip.

Sorry to hear Verdi/Stans/Little Bar were all closed. You must come back to try all 3!

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
189 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back August 2nd

I intend to! It was lovely.

Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
325 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Back August 2nd

Hi there- loved your report. Just have one question regarding going to Roys in Naples. How far is that from the Marco Marriott???

Thank you.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
189 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Back August 2nd

I'd say about 30-35 minutes and a straight drive. We always travel with our GPS. We had wanted to go to Roy's just for the souffle and had mentioned this to the Marriot Concierage...when we got the bill at Roy's the waiter told us that the souffles were on the house courtesy of the concierage...very nice!

10. Re: Just Back August 2nd

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2010, 06:18