We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 8/9-8/15/09

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,504 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 8/9-8/15/09

Eight of us went (4 adults, 4 teenagers). Stayed at the Marco Marriott. It is a beautiful property. Beach is beautiful, but shelly. We all had water shoes, some used them, some didn't. I used mine, so I was glad I brought them. Water is green, I guess I was expecting more blue clear water. I guess this is how the gulf is. No waves there. We happened to get a good deal, buy 1 room get 2nd room for half. Maybe that's why the hotel was full. Had heard from travel agent and trip advisor it would be quiet in August. Not so. The pools were very crowded. They do not have big enough pools for the amount of people the hotel holds. We like to relax at pool after a day of whatever, beach or exploring, and we could not do that here, millions of little kids, lots of people throwing balls every which way. You could not swim or relax in pool. The pool with the slide is pretty small. The slide is tiny, lots of crows and other birds hang out on top of the waterfall. I wouldn't go under there. We got the cups at Pazzi's to refill all week. I recommend that. When at the hotel we had lunch at Pazzi's and Quinn's. I thought their prices weren't too bad. Food was good. We had dinner at Captain Brien's, Snooks, Joey's, Konrad's, DaVinci, and Guy Harvey. The only one I would not go to again is Guy Harvey, it was just okay, very loud. The others were excellent. Some us played miniture golf in Naples, some went on Speedy Johnson's airboat. At the hotel some parasailed, jet skied, and went on the shelling/dolphin tour. All good, I would recommend any of them. We stopped at the pier in Naples, the beach there is nothing exciting, much nicer on Marco. The little town in Naples was very quiet and expensive stores, we just had some ice cream there. Fort Myers airport is very nice, the car rentals couldn't be any closer, what a pleasure. We had 2 minivans from Dollar for 305.00 each. On our way to the airport to leave we had lunch in Cracker Barrel, very good. When the hotel is crowded like that it would not be a good place for a honeymoon or for couple going without kids. There were several weddings held there during this week. My friends' room was not cleaned first day, she had to call. Then again on second day, third day they had her checking out - but that all got straightened out. I don't mind paying for parking and umbrellas, but I think the price is a little too high - $12 a day for parking and $18 a day for an umbrella adds up. Most hotels you go to have free parking, some have maybe a $5 or so charge. So that I didn't like. The main problem we had was the pool situation, we've been many places in the past few years (even at Disney and Universal) where the hotel has a quiet pool. They really need that - we suggested that at the desk. We brought our own breakfast stuff, also stopped at the Winn Dixie for beer, wine, juice, etc. We had breakfast out once, at NeNe's. I would recommend that. We did see people with their own umbrellas, so as long as you buy the anchor for it that might save some money. Restaurants were quiet until Thursday and Friday night, but we still got in without reservations. Cloudy on and off, a few quick rain showers, nothing terrible. Would we go back, probably not, there are so many other places to see. But never say never, maybe for a 4 night stay instead of 6 nights when the hotel would be less crowded.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
201 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 8/9-8/15/09

Princess, funny that you said it was crowded as my friends who have been going to Marriot 8 years straight said when we went (two weeks ago) it seemed very crowded - the most they have seen it. I think perhaps they were running some special and maybe the rooms were cheaper at one point. I loved the fact that the samd never gets burning hot like the Jersey Shore and it was only shelly that one point getting in/out of water. Speaking of airports - Ft. Merys made me appreciate Newark...on our way back we did not stop for breakfast before and expect to eat something light on the plane and grabe some coffee, etc. in the terminal before. We were very disappointed that once past security all there was was a Sbarros and a bar which served "eggs"...next time I know better to eat before checkpoint.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 8/9-8/15/09

Congrats Princess41 .. man you were busy. It sounds like you did it right and were tired by the time you went to bed.

It looks like you planned well and knew what to do and how to do it. You didn't skimp on the activities. IMO it was a smart move since SW FL is one of a kind.

I love Marco for four main reasons, 1) beautiful subtropical weather November 15 to May, 2) nature and the huge white crescent beach 3) relaxation and rest (sounds like you didn't get this) and the beach lanai sunsets.

I hope at least you got to see a couple of the panoramic beach sunsets!!!

My brother loves Hawaii. It is his favorite travel spot. For me, Hawaii is OK but I really enjoy Marco. I hope you find your favorite travel spot. Cheers!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 8/9-8/15/09

Can you explain more about the refillable mugs at Pazzi's? I have not read about this option.

Thank you for your review, my family and I look forward to a stay here in a week.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,504 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 8/9-8/15/09

Hi, go to Pazzi's Restaurant (it's in between the 2 pools). For $7.95 you buy a large insulated cup with a lid, they are lined up on the counter (red ones and black ones). You have unlimited soda refills for your whole stay (pepsi products and water also). We even used them when we ate at Quinn's (they don't mind).

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,504 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 8/9-8/15/09

Also I must thank everyone on this forum for all their information and recommendations. I learned of the Pazzi cups on here, they don't tell you about it at the hotel. The restaurants we picked and the activities and even the Winn Dixie, all these ideas I got from reading trip advisor. Thanks again to all!!!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,504 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 8/9-8/15/09

MarcoRed, we did catch two sunsets - one from the balcony and one when we were at Guy Harveys. Because we were so busy it seemed we were inside having dinner during the other nights, but at least we caught two!!! Breathtaking. My favorite vacation spot is actually Disneyworld, but we like to see other places and mix it up a little. Thanks again for your help.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 8/9-8/15/09

Princess - have been to the Marriott in August and it was a complete ghost town. I think the travel industry was hurting so badly this year they made some great deals. The rooms we normally book were going for half the usual price. Also, airfare was slashed this summer. People took advantage of that. Good for them! We tried to make it to Marco this summer and just couldn't make it work. I've done Spring Breaks on Marco for years, so the crowds don't bother me. I'll take Marco anyway I can get it!

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,504 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 8/9-8/15/09

Airfare was not so cheap, took Northwestern going and Jet Blue coming home - roundtrip about 260 (northwestern charges $l5 each check bag, Jet Blue so far does not charge).

9. Re: Trip Report 8/9-8/15/09

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2010, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Marco Island