We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas - Marco Island or Sanibel Island?

Paoli, Indiana
Level Contributor
111 posts
190 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas - Marco Island or Sanibel Island?

Which island is best to visit at Christmas? Opinions please!

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas - Marco Island or Sanibel Island?

This is a hard question to answer since I am not quite sure I understand it in the first place. Do you mean which island will be more festive? Do you mean which island will be less crowded?

In any event, you will find both islands decorated nicely for the holidays. Restaurants on each will offer holiday meals. It will be a busy and fun time on either island. You will experience holiday rates for accommodations on either island.

In my opinion, your best bet to help you make this decision is to figure out what each island offers and pick the one that appeals to you based upon that information.

If you research this forum, you will find information on Marco vs. Sanibel.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,191 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas - Marco Island or Sanibel Island?

LONG3:

As WisKim said...it would be helpful to know what you are looking for / what type atmosphere you enjoy. Our family has vacationed on / owned property on Sanibel for years. The appeal, no matter what time of year, is that it is relatively undeveloped with stretches of undeveloped land throughout...the beaches are never crowded (in my experience). Great bicycling trails, tennis courts, opportunities to visit the Wildlife Refuge / rent a canoe or kayak. Or, lazy days at your condo then out to dinner in the evenings.

Marco is equally delightful in a different way. Much more developed, many more people around, but the beach is wider and accommodates them well. There are similar opportunities for recreation either on the island or nearby. I would sum up MY opinion by saying that Sanibel can provide a very good "get away from it all" vacation. Marco...depending upon where you stay...can also provide a restful and relaxing atmosphere OR more in the way of shopping, dining out, just watching the activity down at the beach...GREAT fishing in the Ten Thousand Islands if that is important to anyone in your family.

Let us know if you have any specific questions....

Marco Island,FL
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas - Marco Island or Sanibel Island?

Also, you might want to go with the location where you can find acceptably priced accomodations. Dec 26th - Jan 2nd is in the highest demand of anytime of the year. However, Dec 19th - 26th is not so high of demand and you'll find bargains on both islands.....

Randy

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas - Marco Island or Sanibel Island?

Sanibel has "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge

Marco is surrounded by Rookery Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve, Ten Thousand Islands National Wildlife Refuge, Collier-Seminole State Park, Picayune Strand State Preserve, Big Cypress National Preserve, and oh yes something called the Everglades National Park.

This is what a first timer will see on Marco.http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20627-If_you_come_to_Marco_Island_to_see.html

If you like nature look at this link

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20557-First_Ti…

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas - Marco Island or Sanibel Island?

This is what a first timer will see on Marco ...

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20557-First_Ti…

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas - Marco Island or Sanibel Island?

If you come to see Nature ... see this link.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20627-If_you_c…

Lee County, FL
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas - Marco Island or Sanibel Island?

Both Sanibel Island and Marco Island are beautiful destinations. Since we represent Sanibel, I will be glad to share all the holiday happenings scheduled for the island. The holiday season is one of the most beautiful times to visit The Beaches of Fort Myers & Sanibel. I don’t know what date you will be visiting, but Sanibel and Captiva islands feature the Christmas Luminary Trail and Open House. This is a tradition in its 25th year. The event draws visitors from all over the world as they join local residents to celebrate the season. Three miles of luminary candles line Periwinkle Way, the main street on the island, and area businesses decorate for the holidays with candles illuminating the island pathways, storefronts and homes. The festivities occur Dec. 4 on Sanibel Island and Dec. 5 on Captiva Island. Also, the Herb Strauss Schoolhouse Theater, located on Sanibel, will be showing Every Christmas Story Ever Told from Dec. 15-31. You can find out more information about the play by visiting their Web site at www.theschoolhousetheater.com.

~ Lee County VCB on behalf of The Beaches of Fort Myers & Sanibel

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas - Marco Island or Sanibel Island?

Christmas in Marco is really beautiful. I love the palm trees wrapped in the white lights ... pretty special. I don't know why they don't keep them up the whole year long.

Every condo and hotel has lights put up. If they don't have trees wrapped then they have lighted angels all up and down Collier Blvd.

There is a Christmas boat parade earlier in the month. I've never seen it in person.

Like any where at Christmas some people knock themselves out with the lights and inflatable characters.

I've gone to Marco during Christmas for a few years now and put up my own lights where ever I stay.

9. Re: Christmas - Marco Island or Sanibel Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2010, 05:15