We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First-timers to Marco Island

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First-timers to Marco Island

Hi

My husband, myself , and our 10 month old daughter will be taking our first trip to Marco Island Dec12th through the 19th. We will be staying at Pointe Santo.

I have found this forum extremely helpful in planning our trip and would like to ask a couple other questions:

1. What will be the weather like in December?

2. What will be the water like, will it be too cold to swim in?

3. What activities would you recommend for us, as we are travelling with a toddler?

4. We are planning on cooking the majoirty of our meals ourselves in the condo. But what restaurants offer good, cheap food?

5. Where can we get groceries for a reasonable price?

7. How can I protect our infant from the no see-ums or will there not be any in December?

8. We are staying at the Appolo, anything we should know about with this condominium?

Thanks!

Marco Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First-timers to Marco Island

1. Low to mid 70's and sunny

2.Water temp lower 70's

3.Water parks, zoo, everglades alligator exhibit, Marco Movie theater

4.Snook Inn resturant is awesome, also Capt Briens seafood

5.Winn Dixie off Collier blvd near Mcdonald's

6.No bugs really in Decemeber

7.Apollo is a great condo, no advice here.

Dustin Beatty

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First-timers to Marco Island

Pointe Santo is on Sanibel. Apollo is on Marco. What island will you be on?

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First-timers to Marco Island

Thoughts about the Apollo: Sunset Grille is better than average bar food, you will be eating there at least twice, try the crab cakes, great sunsets, place tends to be busy at lunch and for sunset there are less than the number at lunch, washing machines are outside the 2 bedrooms, stop in and see the management company rep who will give you a parking pass, 2 bedrooms are the same size if not bigger than the hotels, no beach activities directly on the beach, but it is a quick walk to the Hilton for renting a saleboat etc, outstanding lanais, you are right on the beach and not away back like the hotels, and you will never forget a full Marco cloudless sunset, enjoy.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First-timers to Marco Island

Hi WisKim

Well, unfortunately due to our budget and a last minute cancellation from one of the condo owners at Pointe Santo, we decided to go to Marco Island instead. We can hardly wait! Thanks for all the replies!!!

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First-timers to Marco Island

www.tinytikestreasures.com rents beach wagons, jogging strollers, etc. and will deliver. Some of these items may come in handy with a toddler.

You can rent bikes on the island including burleys. See islandbikeshops.com. They also deliver.

You might consider a boat ride. You can rent pontoons at the marinas on the island. Also, a couple of the charter fishing tours cater to smaller kids. Not sure if your toddler is old enough for this but we took ours when they were quite young and they loved it.

I have already gone swimming in the gulf in Dec./Jan. Some years it is too cold for me though. Your toddler will like to swish toes in the water in any event and will also love the pool.

I agree with MarcoRed on the restaurant in the Apollo. It is kid friendly too. You will like it there.

There is Sweet Annie's ice cream and ColdStone on the island.

There is also a Dollar Store on the island. You can pick up some cheap toys, floats, etc. for the toddler to enjoy and this will not break the bank.

There is also a Super Walmart a few miles off of the island.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First-timers to Marco Island

Highly recommend renting the "beach stroller." Have gone for so many years that my stroller kid is a foot taller than me now. I'm a little removed from the baby rental scene now, so I'll go with Wiskim. If she says it's good, it is. The dollar store is also great. Go get the pail and shovel, swimmies and whatever floatie your baby is sized for. Worth every penny. We take a couple of those collaspible coolers and take our own pop, water (and a few years ago juice boxes) down to the beach. Also packed lunch in those back in the PBJ years. The island is so family friendly that you can go anywhere with your toddler and be welcomed with open arms. Go and have a great time!

7. Re: First-timers to Marco Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2010, 05:15