We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Begin in Orlando - Ending Up in Marco. Airline Suggestions?

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lakeland, Tennessee
Level Contributor
238 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Begin in Orlando - Ending Up in Marco. Airline Suggestions?

We're thinking of spending about 2-2.5 days in Orlando doing a few theme parks (my wife & and & our almost 6-yr-old daughter) this June, then ending up in Marco Island for 4-5 days after the theme park portion of the trip.

We've split-up our vacation between Orlando and Treasure Island the last 4 years, so where we fly into (Tampa vs. Orlando) hasn't been that big of a deal since it's just under a 2 hour drive between Orlando / Treasure Island.

Different this year though... looks to be about a 4-hr. drive from Orlando to Marco Island. So, we're exploring options to try to have as least amt. of a drive between destination # 1 (Orlando) & destination # 2 (Marco Island). There's of course always the option of flying into Orlando, spend the 2-3 days there & then driving to Marco Island & then flying out of the closer Ft. Myers airport to get back home afterwards, but the 1-way rental car expenses are typically high.

Anyway, you see where I'm going here... any suggestions for some alternate airports to fly in/out of that would make our driving shorter... maybe a location that's roughly equally 2 hours away from Orlando and 2 hours away from Marco Island?

Thanks for any suggestions...

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,622 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Begin in Orlando - Ending Up in Marco. Airline Suggestions?

Miami would be a choice. 4 hour drive to Orlando but less frm Marco back to MIA.

I might say Tampa or Ft myers. There is sarasota/Bradenton but less flights means higher prices.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Begin in Orlando - Ending Up in Marco. Airline Suggestions?

I would check car rental prices for one way before you rearrange or bang your head on the wall about flights. I've researched flying in and out of different airports in Fl, when trying to make the most of our FF miles - usually $10 or less to drop off at a different airport.

I would probably try flying into Orlando, out of Ft Myers first. Tampa - Ft Myers second. Either TPA or Orlando and out of FLL or in and out of TPA third.

Miami is one of my least favorite airports, its chaos there.

Don't forget to factor in gas prices and think about what your time is worth, when working out the equation.

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Begin in Orlando - Ending Up in Marco. Airline Suggestions?

It used to be the case that if you joined the Emerald club at National car rental, there was no drop fee. Also, I believe if you register for the Orlando magic card (its free--google the terms to find where to sign up), I believe there is no drop fee with Dollar or Thrifty. Otherwise, the major companies often run specials with no drop charges for rentals within Florida.

As for a mid way point airport, check Bradenton/St. Petersburg. You could also try Tampa.

Orlando, FL
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
17,129 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Begin in Orlando - Ending Up in Marco. Airline Suggestions?

The drive is about 4 - 4.5 hours with a quick bathroom/fast food or bathroom/gas stop. MCO/RSW would be your most ideal and worth some extra money for convenience in my opinion. Nothing to do but shop and compare. TPA/RSW, TPA/TPA (which would be better than going back to MCO after Marco). Just remember the drive between the two places isn't going to change because of your airport, just the drive to/from the airport. Picking somewhere in the middle doesn't sound ideal to me which would make 2+ hours to Orlando, then 4+ down to Marco, then 2+ back up to the airport. I'd rather come in closer to Orlando and have a short trip from the airport and only 1 longer airport commute on the way back to the airport if that makes sense. Consider too that you could fly between MCO and RSW. You could stay on Disney property, free Magical Express transport to/from the airport so wouldn't need to rent a car for Orlando. You could wait to rent a car when you get to RSW. Just something else to look into. I think Southwest has $29 fares.

5. Re: Begin in Orlando - Ending Up in Marco. Airline Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2010, 05:18