We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wall Street Journal Travel Article on Marco Island Dtd Jul15

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Wall Street Journal Travel Article on Marco Island Dtd Jul15

The title is ...

Marco Island: River Wading

…wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274870422070457…

I had no idea

1) the bar at Marco Lodge (Goodland) was called "Riff Raff Bar"

2) why the writer would say to park in the lot across the street from the Residents Beach ... no legal lot exists ... to park and walk the beach

Edited: 16 July 2010, 05:16
Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wall Street Journal Travel Article on Marco Island Dtd Jul15

He's referring to Sourth Marco Beach where you have to walk past the Resident's Beach parking lot. Unfortunately the author thinks that its Resident's Beach - South because the website that he points to does just that:

http://www.marco-island-florida.com/beach.htm

Residents Beach - South

-- also Public Parking Lot and Access

Open 8 AM until Sunset Daily

Resident Parking Permit Required for Resident Parking Lot

Adjacent Lot for Public Parking

No Facilities

Walkway Access from Collier Boulevard North of Cape Marco

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wall Street Journal Travel Article on Marco Island Dtd Jul15

Interesting the link that you mention talks about "Residents Beach - Main" .. OK I understand and agree to the language. Only residents can use that stretch of beach.

But I don't agree with the next text on the website... "Residents Beach South". There may be a parking lot for Residents at South Beach ... but everyone I know calls that beach "South Beach". It is a public beach, there is no beach area only for residents. And Yes I understand everyone knows residents can go to the public beach.

Bottom line the website lists 2 residents beach when in my mind there is only one Residents Beach on Marco.

To me the website mentioned is confusing and wrong. Call Residents beach what it is restricted and gated for residents. People shouldn't confuse South Beach with the residents only beach on Marco.

3. Re: Wall Street Journal Travel Article on Marco Island Dtd Jul15

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2011, 07:30