We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain in August

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
175 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Rain in August

I was wondering if it rained every afternoon in August at Marco Island? Is it better to make plans for the morning boating etc, due to potential thndstrms/rain? Thanks!

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
861 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain in August

Pretty much yes.

Most mornings will start bright and sunny, with lovely blue skies.

As the day progresses the cloud will build and more often than not, there will be rain mid - late afternoon.

You will get a the odd day where it stays dry, and probably the occasional day where it is cloudy & grumpy all day.

Being up and about and doing things early is a good strategy!

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
564 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain in August

Actually, the mid-afternoon storms are usually short and can be comforting. By 2 PM, it can get to be a hot, and the late afternoon rain cools everything back down to be quite comfortable.

But yes, both because of the likely afternoon rain and the building heat, making your plans to enjoy the mornings and early afternoon is a great strategy.

Randy

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain in August

I agree with all the above experts ...

My addtions are:

- Marco is not unique with this schedule of rain. All of SW Florida has the same type weather.

- I do physical outdoor activities by or before 10:00AM.

- Crusing in a boat is a morning thing for me.

- it will be sunny 99% of the days

- if you watch the weather channel on TV you can see if a bank of weather is coming in ... on those days ... it could rain for hours and hours.

- the vendors don't like this ... but I schedule a boat, the day before, after looking at weather channel. This reduces your chances of going but I don't mind this ... my philo on travel is ... I will return again to my travel vacation ... I'll do the boating on my next vacation to Marco

Edited: 22 August 2010, 17:29
Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain in August

Our experience has been that most of the day is gorgeous and it does open up and rain for 15 minutes to half an hour between 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. in the hotest part of the day. By that time, we're done with the sun and beach and have headed up to the room to shower and dress for dinner.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
175 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain in August

Thanks for all of your input...Went to Marco last week for a week...There was rain, and then there was more rain...Nothing consistent til Friday and Sat then like clockwork a storm at 4-4:30...Didn't get to rent a pontoon the weather was just too iffy that week, we'll have to do it in May sometime when the weather holds up a bit more consistently! Thanks again!

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
861 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain in August

That is both unfortunate & bad luck, though not unprecedented.

We have had the odd 3-4 day 'iffy-weather' spell in August and there are a number of significant storms tracking out of the Atlantic at the moment.

I have noticed that even if storm tracks are well away from Florida, the weather systems affect a huge area.

7. Re: Rain in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2011, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Marco Island