We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel/resort for our family?

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
overland park, ks
Level Contributor
105 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Best hotel/resort for our family?

I'm planning an early June trip for my family to come to Marco for the first time. My daughters are 6 & 8 years old. Our main objective on the trip will be pool and beach fun and relaxation. I would say we are not overly fussy travelers, but we do generally choose and prefer more 4 + * properties. The biggest factor for me right now is accessibility to easily and quickly get on the beach, beach service ( chairs etc) and a really good pool for the kids, preferably that has some shaded options. We are happy to stay on property and eat or leave, and most likely will do more leaving than staying.

I see my major choices are the Hilton, Marco Beach, and Marriott. From my area, the price difference can be up to $900 between the Hilton ( lowest) and Mariott( highest).

Knowing my above preferences, do you have a suggestion for us?

My husband and I have only been to the surrounding area once, when we stayed at La Playa Beach in Naples a couple summers ago. We loved it so much, we're thinking Marco would be a good family trip.

If you have other suggestions in Naples, Captiva, Ft. Myers, Sanibel etc- open to those as well.

Too many choices!

Thank you in advance for your responses.

London, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel/resort for our family?

Can't recommend the Marriott strongly enough. I have stayed with grandchildren, and they just loved it.There are 2 pools. One designed for children, with a slide, waterfall etc. and zero entry. Both have direct access to the beach, where there are always plenty of beds,which are complimentary. A charge is made for umbrellas. Umbrellas round the pools are free to use too.

MBOR is set further back from the beach, and the pool is much smaller and on the roof. Also, it is more formal than the Marriott, having quite a strict dress code. food and drinks are quite pricey at the Marriott, but there is a choice from casual beachside to high end dining. Also a small fridge in the bedrooms means youcan stock up on sodas etc from the supermarkets. Hilton is pleasant, but the pool is smaller, and you access the beach from a short walkway across the sand.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel/resort for our family?

Agree with Clare. Have gone for many years and the Marriott is absolutely the best choice for kids. Our kids have grown up there and love it. The Tiki Pool is a dream for young children. Step outside the pool deck onto gorgeous white sand. Rooms have refrigerators and coffee makers. We do breakfast and lunch in the room and then go out for a fabulous dinner. Within walking distance of some of the best restaurants on the island. You've picked a great island. MBR is very formal and a Boca wanna be. Stuffy and has a dress code. Hilton is sad. Marriott is golden. Just my opinion after 12 years of trips to the island. Where ever you decide to stay, email me. I've got lots of tips for you. Have a great time! Annie

Minnesota
Level Contributor
68 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel/resort for our family?

We have been going to Marco for years, the best choice for families is the Marriott Crystal Shores. My advice is to book through an owner. Go on VRBO or sign up for Redweek. They have condo units at the resort for rent through the owner directly. This is a much cheaper way to book although it is still spendy. Go online and look at the resort. We are staying there in a few weeks and visited it last year. It is beautiful - Ritz Carlton beautiful. Plus the units have kitchens, dining rooms, living rooms and large balconies.

overland park, ks
Level Contributor
105 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel/resort for our family?

Thank you for the replies!

I'm focusing more on the Marriott, and trying to find someone who rents at Crystal Shores as well, struck out on VRBO, so we'll see!

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel/resort for our family?

Beach condos will be much cheaper than the hotels. It should like a 2 bedroom will be perfect. Check out a local rental management company. Good luck

houston texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel/resort for our family?

It is hard to beat the Marriott but be prepared to spend serious dollars.

Condo's are far less expensive, Seawinds is the best

7. Re: Best hotel/resort for our family?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2012, 06:16