We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marco island or Sanibel?

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Topic
Marco island or Sanibel?

Hi, I'm trying to decide between Sanibel or Marco island to go with 2 14 year old boys. I want a nice beach, outdent want to be completely secluded. Any advise or suggestions? If we go to Sanibel, I was thinking maybe the Sundial resort?

Iwould appreciate any comments.

Thank you!

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marco island or Sanibel?

Do you want a secluded beach? If so I'm not sure Marco or Sanibel is what you want.

Marco is a residential town 100% surrounded by national parks and preserves.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marco island or Sanibel?

suggest you search this forum as I remember not many weeks ago the same question asked with lots of replies....personally with 2 x 14 yr olds - Marco...... We like sanibel but love marco... we visited sanibel when our daughter was 13 or 14 and she thought we had taken her to a retirement island and prefers MI....

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Marco island or Sanibel?

No the beach doesn't have to be secluded, we just want a nice sandy beach with something to do.

Thank you.

Ft Myers
Level Contributor
96 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marco island or Sanibel?

Captiva should also be considered. The island is so safe and the village center area so convenient to everything the boys can explore on their own by walking or biking and you'll have no worries about them. Just think how nice it would be not to have chauffer duty every time they want to go somewhere! Many houses and condos in the village can be viewed on the TA site below.

tripadvisor.com/VacationRentals-g34481-Revie…

marco island fl.
Level Contributor
87 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marco island or Sanibel?

Check out Boca Grande and The Anchor Inn. The mode of transportation is golf-carts. 14 year olds are allowed to drive them. the Island is very golf-cart friendly. there's no traffic lights on the Island and cart paves everywhere.

We use Boca-buggies when there. The fishing is world class and there's miles of beautiful sandy beaches. there's also a 3 story height limit on buildings so when on the beach it's an unobstructed view. Our kids loved the freedom of exploring on golf-carts.

Have fun!

Mount Dora, Florida
Level Contributor
653 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marco island or Sanibel?

Go to Sanibel, stay at the Sundial. It is a great place for everyone, especially 14 year olds.

We did it for 20 years until our kids grew up and moved out on their own.

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marco island or Sanibel?

I have two teenage boys. They much prefer Marco. There is more on Marco for them to do. The beach is wonderful. Give it a try and I do not think you will be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I like Sanibel. There is more to do on Marco and we prefer it.

8. Re: Marco island or Sanibel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 13:16