We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marco Island Rental Home -- Summer Electric Bills

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 post
Save Topic
Marco Island Rental Home -- Summer Electric Bills

We are planning to rent a 3 bedroom Marco Island home in late August. The contract includes a provision "If you occupy a house, you are responsible for electric bills over $75 per week". I would like to know the typical range of electric bills for an occupied Marco Island home in the heat of summer. Thanks.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Marco Island Rental Home -- Summer Electric Bills

Depending on the size of house and how cool you have the thermostat it can be more than $75/wk. But if you have the thermostat set at no lower than 80F you should be ok.

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marco Island Rental Home -- Summer Electric Bills

I would ask the owner or rental agency to provide you with the info. It is easy for them to access this info.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marco Island Rental Home -- Summer Electric Bills

My parents had a $300 electrical bill last month in Marco ... electric is not cheap.

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marco Island Rental Home -- Summer Electric Bills

You might just want to ask the rental agent or home owner. Chances are that the owner needs to update his lease form because the cost of energy has risen.

It used to be that this clause was a toothless clause because the owner didn't read his meter on a weekly basis, however, the electric company now does provide daily electrical usage information.

Randy

London
Level Contributor
189 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marco Island Rental Home -- Summer Electric Bills

I'm in a similar position for a rental in October but the rental agreement I have states I am responsible for any electricity over $85 per week. Any views on whether this is a reasonable amount? I'm assuming that it is the air con that is the major contributor to the bill.

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marco Island Rental Home -- Summer Electric Bills

In October, it has cooled a bit so that the AC won't be running all day but not cool enough that the pool heater will have to fire up much. In October, $75/$85 should not be a problem.

Randy

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marco Island Rental Home -- Summer Electric Bills

wow, in the 15+ years of renting from private owners, I've never had to pay utilities. Is this new?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marco Island Rental Home -- Summer Electric Bills

We visit Sept/Oct and our contract said something like reasonable amount so I took this up with the property complanies guy as I was concerned that we would end up with a huge bill (Have that at home so dont want it on holiday!) and he said not to worry there is no way we would be able to use the limit they have allowed! Have this in writing...

Hope thats true....

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Marco Island Rental Home -- Summer Electric Bills

It's only *IF* you go over the stated amount. And if you set the thermostat to no lower than 78 then you shouldn't. In fact you should still be comfortable with the setting at 80. Not good to keep the rooms too cool and going in and out of the hot sun.

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marco Island Rental Home -- Summer Electric Bills

Most landlords have the clause in the lease just to bring attention to the rental guests that they should be good energy stewards. However, I don't know a landlord that has ever actually imposed an excess electricity or water fee because the accounting of it for a given week is just too difficult.

Randy