We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North or South Marco, Which is Best for Us?

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
Level Contributor
162 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
North or South Marco, Which is Best for Us?

Hi

We have never been so am a bit in the dark about Marco, however I have gathered that the two areas that I would want to stay in are the areas around South Beach (Marriott area) or the area around the Esplanade Shops in the North near Tigertail Beach. We will be renting a waterfront villa with dock and I have found some in both areas.

We would like to be able to have a bit of a wander around to beaches and restaurants, but will have a car for other excursions.

Could anyone give me their advice/opinions on the two areas, ie. restaurants, beaches (South or Tigertail), walking distances between restaurants and beaches, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Jo

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North or South Marco, Which is Best for Us?

We like South Marco better for the simple fact that it is quieter and less congested - really makes you feel like you are secluded in a sense. If you do stay on the south side, there will probably be LESS restaurants and shops to walk to. The ones on this side of the island are very nice, though, AND the island is small enough to easily drive anywhere you want to go!

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North or South Marco, Which is Best for Us?

Agree with MarcoMomma, the island is small. You'll travel the entire island several times during your stay. I tend to be one of the only forum regulars who prefers the north end of the island. I prefer the Tiger Tail Beach neighborhood for a private home rental. Walk to the Esplanade. Boat to Winn-Dixie. We stayed on the south end once. We've stayed on Hernando Drive for many years and never have had a problem with traffic, congestion, etc.

Essex
Level Contributor
162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North or South Marco, Which is Best for Us?

Thank you both for your replies, can you tell me jackiepaddy, how safe it is to walk around in the evening, I think we have found a villa, it is in Dove Court, so about 10 minutes walk to restaurants on North Collier, I'm not sure how long it would take to the Esplanade. We are going in the summer so hopefully traffic would be lighter anyway. Also saying you stayed on Hernando Drive, there was another possible villa there, how far is that from restaurants please?

Sorry for all the questions, but thank you also.

Jo

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North or South Marco, Which is Best for Us?

Hi - Marco Island is one of the safest places we've ever been. I never even give safety a second thought and would walk around the island at any hour (although I'm not awake much past 11pm generally; too much sun and fun makes you tired). Dove Court is in a good location, close to the restaurants on Collier. You could walk to one of my favorites, Joey's. Esplanade would be a bit of a walk from Dove.

The entrance to Tiger Tail Beach is on Hernando so it's very close to the beach and there's a cute little cafe at the beach. The Esplanade is a close walk from Hernando as is the grocery store across the street.

If you like to ride a bicycle, you can get around most of the island easily and quickly.

Essex
Level Contributor
162 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North or South Marco, Which is Best for Us?

Thanks so much jackipaddy, that is all very good to hear, I had already found Joey's on the internet, possibly for the night we arrive, so glad to hear its a good one. We have definately settled on the Dove Court villa, so now I've got until next August to find out everything I need to know. I love these forums, don't know how we ever went anywhere without them.

Thank you again, know doubt I will be asking lots of questions between now and then, so hope to hear from you again.

Jo

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North or South Marco, Which is Best for Us?

Nothing I like more than being on Marco so we're all happy to offer our opinions and recommendations. Did you check out www.marcoreview.com yet? When you arrive, you can grab a printed copy. Great resource for restaurants and shops.

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North or South Marco, Which is Best for Us?

Since you have a car consider going to Goodland Island. 10 minute drive from Marco. Stan's Idle Hour is amazing. Incredible food and great value. So is Little Bar Restaurant. Check them out

8. Re: North or South Marco, Which is Best for Us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 05:16