We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break In Marco Island

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Crystal Lake...
4 posts
Save Topic
Spring Break In Marco Island

Is Marco Island a big Spring Break destination?

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Break In Marco Island

Yes it is because it's so family friendly. It's very busy, but not Ft. Lauderdale, Daytona busy. The beach is not packed with drunken teenagers. It's packed with families with children. Have gone for many years, since my kids were toddlers wearing floaties. Now Youngest son is H.S. Senior and daughter is in college and "drunken Spring Break" age. They both want only to go to Marco. We've always stayed at the Marriott Resort and cannot sing it's praises loudly enough. Have made so many incredible memories there that our oldest son, who recently got married, was considering having his wedding there. There are also unbelievable private homes to rent if you prefer that. Live in a multi-million dollar home for a week. Have many friends who do this on a regular basis. There are several experts here who can give you invaluable advise on that. The island is amazing, the beach is pristine. I caution you, it's impossible not to fall in love with this island. Go and let me know if I can help you in any way. Annie

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
146 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Break In Marco Island

Wow- just read your review. We are looking for spring break as well- mid March. Haven't started any research, and are driving home from holiday trip as we speak... So what city do you fly into? Definitely checking this out! Years ago we went to Sanibel- enjoyed, but not fabulous.

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Break In Marco Island

Ft Myers (RSW) airport is about a 45 minute drive to Marco Island or Fort Lauderdale (FLL) is about a 90 minute drive to Marco

To find Marco Island beachfront properties to rent, check VRBO

http://www.vrbo.com/search?q=marco+island+beacfront

FlipKey - http://www.flipkey.com/search/l/34420/

or HomeAway

http://www.homeaway.com/search/keywords:marco+island+florida/arrival:2012-03-02/departure:2012-03-30

London, United...
Level Contributor
903 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring Break In Marco Island

Easiest airport is RSW (Fort Myers)It's the most convenient airport I know. Manageable size, and all the major car rental companies have cars on site Just walk across the road from the arrivals hall, and they are all there. About 40-60 minutes driving time to Marco. I agree with Annie, theMarriott is luxury to the nth degree.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring Break In Marco Island

We've visited Marco for 20+ years in Feb, March and April and while there are families with children visiting for spring break, we NEVER ran into large groups of college age spring-breakers. There may have been a few visiting Gramma but its more expensive with little "nightlife" so its not exactly a college spring break destination. Another reason why we've been going for so many years - once I was out of college, I had no interest in being around drunken college students.

texas
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring Break In Marco Island

We are going as well in mid-March - flying into RSW and staying at the Somerset condos. It's our first trip there and from everything I have read I am very excited!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
60 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring Break In Marco Island

I wouldn't call it a traditional spring break destination like Panama City Beach is, but I definitely would consider it! I went to Marco with fifteen friends for our senior year spring break in March. It's easily the best vacation I've ever taken. We are STILL talking about it and I'm trying to get a few of us to go back this March.

A couple of posters on this board gave me flack for planning a spring break on Marco. However, we didn't run into much trouble. We always tried to be very respectful and conscientious of our neighbors!

As far as I'm aware, you can drink on the beach. We were never 100% sure what the rules were, but again, no one ever told us otherwise. The beach is very clean, so again, we were really respectful to that. The weather is GORGEOUS. 80 degrees and not a cloud in the sky every day we were there.

For nightlife, it took us a while to figure out where the "hot spots" were. As I mentioned, there were fifteen of us, so even if a bar was dead, we usually had a lot of fun. Everyone on Marco was really friendly and willing to give suggestions on what bars to go to. St. Paddy's Day on the island was a lot of fun!

Let me know if you need any advice or suggestions!

Cincinnati, OH
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring Break In Marco Island

My point exactly is that you share that gorgeous white sand with a lot of families and young spring breakers like anothermkegrl. Large party had a good time but was respectful of the island. (Yes you can drink on the beach.) That's why Marco is so special! The young adults it attracts are either "lifers" who have gone forever, or really good people like another and her friends.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring Break In Marco Island

Marco is not a Florida spring break town. It is a family town and a family beach. It is slow for the under 21 crowd ... exactly why it is a great place for a family. There are a few spring breakers staying at the family condo but they tend to be respectful because mom and dad would hear about it from the condo association.

10. Re: Spring Break In Marco Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2013, 10:21