We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in canal behind rental house

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
Save Topic
Swimming in canal behind rental house

Hi,

I'm renting a house in marco in late July. It will have a pool, but the kids will probably want to jump into the canal every once in awhile. Is it safe to swim in the canals? Also, I posted this question in a different thread, but can you trap blue crab in the cement walled canals?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,294 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in canal behind rental house

I wouldn't take the chance because of alligators. When you get there if you see other people in the canal it should be ok though. Although the canals don't have the best of waters as far as clarity goes.

Chicago, Illinois
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in canal behind rental house

Alligators? Its a direct access saltwater canal if that might change your opinion....not that I am doubting your answer. I never even thought about alligators being in there, yikes!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in canal behind rental house

Had a friend catch a 5 footer in a direct access salt water canal.

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in canal behind rental house

The gators definitely hang out in canals in South Forida!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in canal behind rental house

In addition to gators, all the pesticides and fertilizers that people spray on their lawns drain into the canal. I wouldn't swim in there or eat anything that swims in the canals, but that's just me.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in canal behind rental house

I've been heading to Marco for over 20 years and I have never seen anyone swimming in the canals. As mentioned, gators and pesticides/fertilizers are a big deterrent. Also, sharks do swim those waters as well. I would not recommend swimming in the canal at all. Use the pool or go to the beach instead.

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
564 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming in canal behind rental house

The #1 reason for not swimming in the canals is boat traffic. Just like KrustyTripper, most boat captains have never seen swimmers in the canal so they are not looking for them.

Randy

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
131 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swimming in canal behind rental house

First I would say- YUCK!

We pull some pretty toothy fish from the canals.

As well as skates, rays, and catfish.

We have also enjoyed watching the dolphin chase schools along the edges.

The canals are beautiful to look at.

Fun to fish in.

Great to peer into and toss cheese bits to feed schools of fish, but in our over 20 years of renting homes, I would never get into that water.

There would be a HUGE no swimming in the canals talk going on in my world....LOL

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swimming in canal behind rental house

Hi MarcoHomes...of course, boat traffic. We owned a home on the north end of the island 10 years ago and we did lots of boating back then. The most obvious answer is sometimes the one we tend to forget.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
175 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Swimming in canal behind rental house

I second Krustytripper...I've been told sharks can be in the canals, along with gators.

Get answers to your questions about Marco Island