We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marco Island Info

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
760 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Marco Island Info

Looking for some info on Marco Island. Have never been there. Hubby & are looking at first week in March. Looking for a one bedroom condo directly on the beach with a nice heated pool & possibly a pool bar. Are there beachfront bars & restaurants around & are they walkable from the condos? Thanks for any info.

London, United...
Level Contributor
963 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marco Island Info

It is a long beach, with many condos, so where you are situated might be close to restaurants and bars on the beach, or not! There is a bar/ restaurant at The Apollo building, one at Crystal Shores, owned by the Marriott, Quinn's at the Marriott Resort. All these have superb views of the sunsets. The Eagles Nest is a Hilton time share, that does rentals. It is right next door to the Marriott resort, and an easy walk from the places I've mentioned. Considering the length of the beach, there are not very many beach front bars and restaurants. There are however, many restaurants on the waterways and Marco River.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
760 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marco Island Info

Thanks! I will check into those.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marco Island Info

Suzy-Q: I recommend checking out some of the vacation rental web sites like homeaway.com, vrbo.com. Many of the condos are privately owned and are listed on the various sites. I've rented successfully for many years. I recommend paying attention to the furnishings and amenities and look for those you know you'll enjoy. As Clare said above, there aren't an abundance of beachfront bars and restaurants on MI. But there are a few that are very good. Quinn's at the Marriott, Stilts at Crystal Shores, Sunset Grill at the Apollo. When you pick out a place, let us know and there are many of us who love nothing more than to talk about our favorites on MI.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
760 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marco Island Info

Thanks jackiepaddy. Where are you from in WNY? Can you describe Marco Island for me? what is it like? Is it a typical beach city like Ft. Lauderdale or Clearwater Beach, or is it more like Siesta Key or Sanibel? Thanks again!

texas
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Marco Island Info

We loved the Somerset. There is not a restaurant or bar on site but there are several within walking distance. You will have to rent through VRBO or Homeaway for the Somerset.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,037 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marco Island Info

I have always said you need to do the Marco Island Marriott or Hilton once. Once you get addicted to Marco you become a “Marco holic”.

Going to Marco you may figure out why SW Florida (Marco Island as a residential waterfront/resort community) is a huge draw. And if you get hooked on the beach then IMO the next step is to do a Marco beachfront condo for the larger space and for the better price.

The lower end condos may not be a substitute to the Marriott. But the higher end condos are great from being a few feet from the beach. You are closer to putting your feet in the water, in many condos, than a Marriott/Hilton hotel room. And the crescent beach views and sunsets from most condos beat most of the hotel rooms.

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marco Island Info

Suzy-Q - I'm in Rochester but work in Buffalo. Been going to Marco for 20 years. IMO Marco is nothing like Ft. Lauderdale but I've never been to Clearwater Beach. It's not really a "city". It's a small residential island 6 miles long (I think?). The west side is beach from top to bottom on the beautiful Gulf. Great restaurants, shops and just beautiful. Much different from Sanibel too. Marco has high rise condos and a few luxury hotels on the beach. Not many hotels on the island. Many private homes. Many are vacation rentals and we rent homes rather than condos. I like having my own pool and space.Let me know what you like and I'll offer my recommendations.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
760 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marco Island Info

Thanks jackiepaddy. I think we are going to stay in Sanibel (Hubby loves it there!)& do a day trip to Marco Island to check it out. Sounds really nice! I'm sure it will be a future destination!

Massapequa, New York
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marco Island Info

Is March very crowded on MI? We plan to go the third week in March 2013 with 2 children under 6. We were in MI this past week and it was wonderful, very laid back, but i wonder if it's a different feel in March. Thank you.

10. Re: Marco Island Info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 03:17
Get answers to your questions about Marco Island