We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking near Marco

Minnesota
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking near Marco

Making our 2nd trip to Marco in March. Would like to try some kayaking. Are there any places near Marco to rent kayaks? How far to paddle to some of the small islands? How safe is ocean kayaking? We've only kayaked in lakes in Minnesota.

Paddle Marco
Equipment Hire, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing
Florida Adventures and Rentals
Boat Tours, Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Fishing Charters & Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing
Florida Backcountry Adventures
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Photography Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing
Marco Island Boat Tours
Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
228 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking near Marco

see other reply.

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
954 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking near Marco

I would recommend taking a guided kayak trip from Rookery Bay:

rookerybay.org/visit/…naturalist-guided-tours

This swill give you a good feeling for what it is like kayaking in the backwaters, and if you feel happy and confident to strike out on your own, we have rented from here and had good experiences:

napleskayakcompany.com/kayak-rentals-naples-…

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking near Marco

I did the rookery bay naturalist guided tour this month ... I recommend it ... reasonable cost .. had 2 guides ... professional attitude naturalists ...1 in front and one behind to ask questions ... perfect for the non kayaker and novice lake kayaker (myself - longest kayak time on lake of 1 hour) ... not too long .. not too difficult for an outdoors person ... just the right amount of info provided.

Tip .... bring your own hand gloves ... the novice will have hand blisters!!!

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,390 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking near Marco

You can rent kayaks from Capri Fish House in Isles of Capri. I think you can kayak to some islands nearby - you might even be able to get to Keeywaydin (arguably the nicest Marco/Naples island) without much difficulty. That is a BEAUTIFUL place for boating/kayaking . . . Can't be beat!

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
954 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking near Marco

The link I posted above is for the company who operate from the shore in front of the Capri Fish Hose.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayaking near Marco

I also rented a kayak from Capri Fish House 2 years ago. You HAVE to be aware of the tides. I kayaked around Johnson Island and it took a while in a double kayak ... it would have been an additional 2? hours to get to keewaydin and back.

With the tides, a hard core kayaker could do a Carpri Fish House kayak then go around Johnson Island and then out to Keywadin and return ... but a novice kayaker like me wouldn't make it.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kayaking near Marco

Many kayakers are putting in at Margood Resort in Goodland. Great access to a lot of backwater exploring from there.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kayaking near Marco

Would this location make it more likely that we could paddle up to some of the small islands and look for shells? We don't want to wander aimlessly. Or would we be better off doing a guided tour since we have never kayaked in the area before?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kayaking near Marco

You could easily go kayaking on your own from the Goodland location. When leaving Margood resort I would go right (away from the Goodland Bridge). Just hug the shoreline as Coon Key pass does have lots of boat traffic.

The only two concerns I would have is not getting lost as there are a lot of little islands, cuts and back bays in the area so you must remember where you are going (getting a map is a good idea) and secondly, remember that the tides can be quite strong. You'd want to time your excursion so that you are leaving with the tide behind you and then coming back with the tide behind you again. Paddling against the tide can be very difficult.

Edited: 24 February 2013, 15:04
10. Re: Kayaking near Marco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 07:15