We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I love to shell, look for sharks teeth and sea glass.

Neptune Beach...
Level Contributor
764 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
I love to shell, look for sharks teeth and sea glass.

what is the best beach? are there any day trips to islands for this?

Chicago
Level Contributor
202 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I love to shell, look for sharks teeth and sea glass.

I haven't seen any sea glass in the area. The beaches around Venice are the best for shark teeth. We stop at Manasota Key's Blind Pass beach on our way to or from SW FL to look for teeth. As for shelling, you can find some shells on most SW FL beaches, but the best location is Sanibel. I think it's ranked #1 in the US and either #2 or 3 in the world.

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I love to shell, look for sharks teeth and sea glass.

You will find plenty of wonderful shells on Marco Island. As for teeth or glass, I have never found any on the Marco beach and I am an avid sea shell collector. You will be able to find sand dollars on Marco Island.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
49 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I love to shell, look for sharks teeth and sea glass.

Marco Island is FANTASTIC for shelling... though I haven't seen any shark teeth or sea glass there are nice conchs, sand dollars, sea stars, scallops and more! I recommend Tiger tail Beach, but South Marco Beach is still good.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,084 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I love to shell, look for sharks teeth and sea glass.

I agree, the 4 manasota key beaches are the best for shark's teeth.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I love to shell, look for sharks teeth and sea glass.

On our one day in Venice many years ago, my daughter found TONS of sharks teeth . . . They were literally everywhere we looked!!! I couldn't believe it! We have found sharks teeth in the Panhandle before, but never anything like what we found on that one day in Venice. My daughter was only 7 years old at the time, so it was AWESOME for her to be able to find these on her own.:)

Edited: 25 August 2013, 04:46
Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I love to shell, look for sharks teeth and sea glass.

I agree ... I don't see many Shark tooth on Marco Beach and sea glass comes and goes and are not a sure thing....

But it is funny .... Sanibel posters come to the Marco forum .... to discuss how Sanibel is number one in shelling. LOL.

I love shelling and won't go to Sanibel .... the secret that Sanibel forgets to consider .... Marco is a part of the 10,000 islands national reserve ... so if you have a boat ... there are 10,000 sandy beaches for shells waiting for you !!!!

Marco Island...
Level Contributor
6 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I love to shell, look for sharks teeth and sea glass.

I live on Marco 7months out of the year and walk the entire beach every morning, rain or shine. I have never found sea glass or shark's teeth, but having vacationed on Sanibel for years before buying on Marco and being an avid sheller, I can truthfully say I have found more amazing and rare shells on Marco than anywhere in the world, except The Phillipines. Sanibel thinks highly of itself, but Marco is in its league, for sure.

Marco island
Level Contributor
107 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I love to shell, look for sharks teeth and sea glass.

The best place we have found for sharks teeth is Boca Grande, bring a small section of screen and you won't be disappointed. Good luck and enjoy.

9. Re: I love to shell, look for sharks teeth and sea glass.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Marco Island