We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for a family hotel in Marco Island

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
looking for a family hotel in Marco Island

we are traveling to Marco Islnd for the first time this December and looking for a hotel to stay in that our kids (ages 13 and 8) will have fun at, as well as some family members that will be visiting us for the day. We are currently looking at the Hilton vs. the Marriott Beach Resorts and not sure which will be better. we like that the Hilton has 2 queen beds plus a pull out couch , giving us more room to spread out , as well as the Marco Walk plaza which seems conveniently close. on the other hand, we like that the Marriott has a bigger pool with a waterfall and seems to have more of a full service resort feel. my concerns about the Marriott are: 1.) its around $100-$150 more/night for similar type room (is it worth it?) 2.) seems like you need to get up and in line very early to get a seat by the pool (are both hotels the same way and will it be that way the week before Christmas?) 3.) are we better off staying at the Hilton being a little smaller and less hectic? By the way, i am also a Marriott rewards member but not sure if the additional cost or having to use 40,000 points per night would be worth it? Can anyone shed any light on which would be a better fit or if there is really much of a difference? or, is there a better hotel suggestion that we are missing?

yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for a family hotel in Marco Island

hi from what you say it seems the Hilton would have more room for your family unless the other has a similar room which with points would make it more reasonable price. .

we're staying at the Hilton in December. just liked the look of it - liked the reviews and the price was good.

comes down to your choice.. sure either one will be lovely.

happy planning!

Western NY
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for a family hotel in Marco Island

I'll let the hotel experts respond on which they prefer to recommend but I can say the Hilton and Marriott are located near each other and both are near the Marco Walk area for restaurants and shops. Within walking distance. I haven't spent much time at the Hilton but can tell you the Marriott is a fabulous full service resort with multiple pools and some great restaurants, including the beachside Quinn's.

Boston...
Level Contributor
136 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for a family hotel in Marco Island

I am also a marriott member and the MI Marriott is the nicest I've ever stayed at, thus it is my US favorite and I am biased. It is first class, you will not be disappointed. I have been 5 times and have never lined up for pool chairs. I don't understand this mentality as there is an incredible beach just steps outside the pool. I can go to the pool anywhere- I want that beach! It is pricey, but we think it is worth every penny.

I have not stayed at the Hilton, but we have visited and had lunch there. It is nice, looks clean, but is not a resort like the Marriott. I have no doubt that it would be a great vacation there, too, as the beach is all on the same incredible stretch of paradise. If you want 5 stars, splurge on the Marriott. If you are ok with 4 stars, go with the Hilton and then walk over to Quinn's at the Marriott for lunch and check it out for next time. You really can't go wrong :)

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for a family hotel in Marco Island

Stayed at the Marriott Sept 13,14, 15 with the Calvary church group. It's an amazing hotel. Every room has a great view, clean, see my review for pictures. I wouldn't worry about the pool chairs, they have plenty with 2 pools, and the beach. They give you towel cards, so you can have plenty of towels for the pool and beach. There's an arcade for the kids. We also rented a tandem bike from Island Bike Shop and rode around the island, that would be something to do that doesn't cost too much. There are bike paths and sidewalks.

I would say it's worth the extra money to stay at the Marriott. You can save money by eating a few miles up the road where the main shops are located. There's a Publix grocery store, and next to it is Summer Day Market, which has healthy wraps and smoothies.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34420-d39…

You can buy cereal, bananas and milk at Publix and that would save on breakfast, not to mention booze if you drink. Our room had a mini bar, and separate fridge we could put our things in. They have restaurants at the hotel, but its fancy stuff. You'll save money by eating breakfast and snacks in the room.

And be sure to visit Summer Day for the wraps, that's the health place to eat and buy snacks.

Edited: 19 September 2013, 13:35
Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,390 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for a family hotel in Marco Island

You might also want to consider a rental house that is close to the beach. I know our daughter (we let her bring a friend along) likes that WAY better than a hotel or condo, plus it is MUCH easier on our wallets and we have all the privacy we want.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
69 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for a family hotel in Marco Island

Those are both great resorts. We have had friends stay at both places when visiting us. My take on the difference between the two is that the Hilton feels less crowded that the Marriott, even when both are full. Our friends felt more comfortable allowing their teen kids to walk around the Hilton by themselves than the Marriott just because the Marriott is bigger and easier to get turned around. The only reason I would spend the extra money or points for the Marriott would be for the pools. Again, both are wonderful places and you will enjoy either.

7. Re: looking for a family hotel in Marco Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 05:17