We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to go about 10,000 islands

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
How to go about 10,000 islands

Pardon my ignorance on the subject. My husband and I will be in marco island for a long weekend. This will be the first of many trips there as my family has just purchased a condo in the area.

I have been told by many that "the thing to do" is tour the 10, 000 islands.

my question is this; what's the best way of doing so? Should we join one of the many advertised tour companies? Should we attempt to rent/diy? How long of an excursion should we plan for?

We are not huge fans of large groups, but would like to have the best experience and the most bang for our buck.

Thank you in advance.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How to go about 10,000 islands

Clare and Whyone ... I came back to this post ... to say exactly what you have said about Rookery Bay.

I have done the kayaking in Rookery Bay ... outstanding for young and old ... the guides love their work ... it is not work for them. I highly recommend it even for a brand new kayaker ... but bring gloves for paddeling.

FROM EMAIL I RECEIVED FROM Rookery Bay ...

Register today to explore Rookery Bay Reserve on one of our unique boat tours, offered several days a week. Themes include History Mystery, Sunset to Starlight, Treasure Island, and more.

All tours provide a chance to see a diversity of native wildlife and offer a comfortable platform for photography. Tours include free admission to the Environmental Learning Center on day of trip and proceeds support the non-profit Friends of Rookery Bay,

new jersey
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How to go about 10,000 islands

WOW thank you all for the wealth of knowledge. I will look into every option. Our trip is this coming weekend so I'll be sure to post a report of where we ended up!

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
869 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How to go about 10,000 islands

Have a great time!

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: How to go about 10,000 islands

I'm jealous . . . ENJOY!!!

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: How to go about 10,000 islands

I'm reserving a Rookery Small Boat tour right now for over Christmas/New Year ... I see the Rookery boats while I'm pontooning East of Keewaydin and don't have a clue on where they go.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: How to go about 10,000 islands

Here is a Utube video of a Rookery Bay kayak tour ... notice the calm back water ... good for old and teenagers!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiB5GuUtZok

17. Re: How to go about 10,000 islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:17