We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home rental - pool with solar heating very cold

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago burbs
Level Contributor
185 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Home rental - pool with solar heating very cold

I wanted to caution vacation home renters that a solar heated pool may not heat the water to a comfortable enough temperature for swimming.

We usually rent a different home in Marco with solar type heating for the pool. There are solar panels on the roof to heat the pool & it seemed pretty effective. I know this because my family &/or I would swim almost daily during our last 2 winter holiday visits.

This visit we had to rent a different home which also has a solar type heated pool. The pool temperature was between 78-81 degrees & was terribly cold. We only recently used the pool one time mostly out of obligation.

This is only the 2nd solar heated pool home we've stayed at & there seemed to be a big difference in the temperatures.

I'm probably going to rent an electric type heated pool home in the future even though I've noticed that some home owners charge extra for charge for this type of heating. My kids are growing up so fast & they really love pool time. For the first time, I definitely feel like we missed out on that this trip.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,820 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Home rental - pool with solar heating very cold

I don't feel that 79-81 is Terribly cold, bit of an exaggeration lol. The gulf is that temp when people swim in it late spring. But I agree, I want my pool at 84F.

Having said this, there are times when solar isn't enough in winter in SW FL (esp north of Marco). Esp if the pool doesn't face south, and no pool cover is used. Use a pool cover overnight, and your problem is mostly solved that far south, unless we get a super cold winter like we did a few years back. Inland further north and solar fails more often (as nigh time temps get much lower).

Solar heaters can generally only heat the water 20-25F or so, so keeping the water from getting below 60F by morning helps.

chicago burbs
Level Contributor
185 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Home rental - pool with solar heating very cold

Thanks, amanx. I appreciate the info. The home we are currently renting doesn't have a pool cover. The other home we rent does have a pool cover, but we never felt the need to use it.

I can promise that I'm not exaggerating about the pool being terribly cold & I should have originally mentioned that my hubby & I believe the pool thermometer is faulty. You're correct that 78-81 doesn't seem like an unreasonable temperature; however, the pool is very cold. Our visitors couldn't believe how cold the pool was & refused to even go in despite brining their swimsuits. Also, I've never had water temperature affect my Asthma before & our kids would have definitely been in the pool if it was tolerable.

A few days ago we were in the Florida gulf waters as we crossed a lagoon in order to get to Tigertail Beach. We were all in agreement that the gulf waters felt warmer than our pool. Although the water we were in was no more than waist deep, it wasn't painfully cold like our pool.

I might be upsetting some solar pool homeowners here but I stand by what I said. I'm still unlikely to rent another home with solar pool heating during the winter months with the exception of the other home we've already stayed at a few times. It just isn't worth it.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,820 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Home rental - pool with solar heating very cold

Well if you are renting long term, contact the owner and see if he will get a pool cover. The bubble wrap kind are pretty cheap ( I have a huge pool and it was less than $100). If he won't do it, maybe you might invest in one anyway so you can use the pool? They are easy to cut and fit with a sturdy pair of scissors.

Go to walmart and pick up a cheap new thermometer today and see what it really is heated to?

Also, is he sure his is operating property? Is the pump that circulates working? It could be on the fritz.

Anyway, you haven't upset me. I have electric heat lol. More expensive but more reliable in winter. and yes, solar heat isn't good enough in its own further north in FL like Orlando in winter. Sometimes it is in south florida, if you use a pool cover and it isn't a severe winter.

Marco Island,FL
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
565 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Home rental - pool with solar heating very cold

That rental home owner should have a pool cover in order to save water if for no other reason. In the winter the air is pretty dry and water loss through evaporation is costing the owner money. In the deep winter months, heat loss at night and on cloudy days could consume all of the heat captured by the solar panels.

Even with our electrical heating system, Dec thru Feb, it will take the heat pump most of the day to restore pool temperatures back to the comfort zone from the losses overnight without a blanket.

I sure would like to have you as a rental guest if you would replace my pool blankets......

Randy

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,820 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Home rental - pool with solar heating very cold

Well, I don't really expect them to pay- I expect the owner too lol. But it could be worth his while so as to be able to use it.

They really should provide one, as you say it saves them water and money. And most importantly, would keep the renters happy.

chicago burbs
Level Contributor
185 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Home rental - pool with solar heating very cold

Thanks, Randy! You made me laugh too!

This house is really great except for the cold pool. It doesn't seem to be rented very often despite the fair rental rate & wonderful floor plan with beautiful water views.

7. Re: Home rental - pool with solar heating very cold

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 05:19