We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from 1st time on Marco.....

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from 1st time on Marco.....

And I hope it's not our last!

The house we rented, 3 adult couples, was terrific. We walked to Tigertail Beach, CJ's at the Esplanade, stores, grocery store.

We did have a car rental, which was handy as we did drive around and check things out.

Tigertail Beach is absolutely gorgeous! And so big! I must admit I was a little confused about the crossing of the lagoon to get to it......we didn't cross it......instead we took what we thought was a short walk around it onto the beach.

Sun. we went to Goodland and spent some time enjoying the music at Stan's. Mon. we had an afternoon cruise with Capt. Paul of Cool Beans Cruises......very enjoyable. We ate lunch one day at Marker 8.5 in Goodland......good and I would recommend. We also bought some fresh shrimp and a key lime pie at Kirk's......so delicious! We ate at CJ's and the Marco Island Brew Pub......both were very good and reasonably priced. Also ordered chinese food one night from Jackie's....it too was good! We found that Walmart and Publix were better priced for groceries than Winn Dixie. Also used the dollar store for handsoap, dishsoap etc.

Thanks to those that recommended Aqua Beachwear......I found 3 new swimsuits!

We took a walk on the Fakahatchee boardwalk.....saw some alligators! an eagle....

Also saw the baby and parent eagles on the Marco Island sanctuary which was around the corner from us....so cool. And we saw two burrowing owls.....so cute!

We had a great time......a week isn't enough time to do everything! Hope to return at some point in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from 1st time on Marco.....

Had to be so hard to return home, thanks for posting.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from 1st time on Marco.....

Loved reading your review - I'm happy to hear Marker 8 1/2 & Aqua worked out for you! We fell in love with Marco about 10 years ago and have been spending about 1-2 months a year on the island since then . . . Sounds like you've caught the bug now!:)

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from 1st time on Marco.....

Thanks for the full report.

I walked Tigertail 2 days ago ... 3.5 hours walk ... shelling and walking the beach ... we did 5.3 miles from parking lot to parking lot ... perfect day, sunny, never broke a sweat, fun but exhausting for me .. I haven't exercised 3.5 hours in a long time ... we went around twice and never did the short cut through the lagoon ... we parked as far South as possible ... where the bathrooms are being constructed right now.

We used a Collier parking pass instead of paying $8. The parking pass "needs to be attached at the bottom of the drivers side front window or the ranger can fine you $100."

It was great shelling for sand dollars.

Tip ... walk the entire beach at low tide .... the barrier island is shrinking ... less land to walk ... if you walk at high tide expect to walk in the water ... if you plan to walk the entire length of Tigertail and Hideaway Beach.

Also if you plan to go to the Gulf from the Tigertail parking lot bring a cart ... if you have beach apparatus ... like a cooler etc.

Edited: 08 January 2014, 03:22
4. Re: Just back from 1st time on Marco.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 07:20