We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything near for older kids?

Iowa
Level Contributor
125 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Anything near for older kids?

OK, we've spent the last two years in Naples. We love it. Laid back, easy going etc.

That said, this year we're getting a house on Marco. The problem is that my 19 yr. old is a bit tired of it. He's pretty amiable but he would definitely enjoy something a little more exciting.

I had thought we'd shoot over to Universal for a day but for some dumb reason thought it was closer to 2 hrs, not the nearly 4 hrs it is. Just too far to drive for a day trip.

Is there anything within 2 hrs or so that would even come close to an amusement park? We've done airboat rides. Fun, but pretty expensive for a short thrill.

Valley Stream, NY
Level Contributor
18,351 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything near for older kids?

You could stay over one night on site at us/ioa (express pass comes with your stay). Busch Gardens is another idea (that's about 3 hours away from Marco).

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything near for older kids?

I've not been (yet), but maybe he'd enjoy the day trip to Key West via ferry.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,323 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything near for older kids?

Not an amusement park, but Fort Lauderdale, Miami, and even Ft. Myers are a lot more action packed and fun for kids/teens/young adults. You could take a day trip to one of those locations to break the monotony. Also, I know there is a water park somewhere in either Naples or Ft. Myers - you could look it up, depending on the time of year you'll be traveling.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,954 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything near for older kids?

How about deep sea fishing? A boat rental? I have 2x 19 yr old boys, and they like that.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,954 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything near for older kids?

Also there is a groupon for a jet lev place in both naples and Ft Myers

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anything near for older kids?

I agree Jet skiing from Marco to 10,000 islands, pontooning from Marco to Naples on the intercoastal east of Keewaydin, trip to the various Keys, Gulf ENP mangrove or 10,000 island tours, deep sea fishing, kayaking in Everglades or Rookery Estuary.

Good luck!

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,035 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anything near for older kids?

Have you done the Naples Jet Boat?

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anything near for older kids?

I have two teens and a 22 year old. We have been going to Marco for years and my kids often take their friends along. They like the following: fishing, biking, shelling, paddle boarding, kayaking, sailing, fishing charter, renting a pontoon, a day snorkeling trip to the keys, golfing, parasailing, going to farmers market and shopping both on Marco, at the Miromar outlet and at Coconut Point. However, their favorite thing to do is jet skiing. They like to rent their own jet ski or take a tour with Captain Ron's.

They always run out of time before they run out of things to do.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 14:15
Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,323 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anything near for older kids?

I agree with WisKim, my daughter and her friends (14 years old) could spend months on Marco and never get bored. It's all about taking advantage of the natural surroundings and all of the water sports Marco offers. Plus, with the Everglades being so close, that adds a wide range of activities to get into. Speaking of which, if you are going to be on the island before the middle of April, he could take advantage of the FREE hiking/kayaking tours offered through Big Cypress - click on the link below for information. Some GREAT suggestions to consider in WisKim's post!:)

nps.gov/bicy/…Draft-RLAS-2013-2014.pdf

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anything near for older kids?

Sun-n-Fun Lagoon water park off Livingston road in Naples has 5 water slides (ranging from 22-350 feet), four pools, lazy river.

Opens on weekends from President's Day weekend through May then open every day in Summer

http://www.napleswaterpark.com/

Also as amax mentioned - Jet lev water-propelled Jet Pack flights in Naples -

Located at the docks on Fifth Avenue just past Olive Garden http://naplesjetpackadventures.com/