We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marco Island or Ft Myers for kids?

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Topic
Marco Island or Ft Myers for kids?

We are looking to travel to the Gulf side of Florida in June. Flying into Punta Gorda and trying to decide what area to look for resorts. We are wanting a nice family friendly ocean view resort with a pool and excellent beach. Any recommendations?

Jennifer

Mechanicsburg...
Level Contributor
297 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Marco Island or Ft Myers for kids?

oh and the kids are 9 & 12

Jennifer

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marco Island or Ft Myers for kids?

I would MUCH prefer Marco over Ft. Myers, although Ft. Myers is more action packed (some would probably say it is more exciting for the kids). In my opinion, Ft. Myers is like a college spring break town . . . Not exactly peaceful and serene! Don't get me wrong, the beach is beautiful and there is LOTS to do, but it definitely draws a wilder crowd. It all depends on your family: My sister in law would hate Marco, but then again, she loves Myrtle Beach and I can't stand it!! It sounds like (from the little information you've given us) you would be happier with a Marco vacation.

By the way, we rent a house or condo each year, so I can't personally recommend any accommodations. I will leave that to someone else!

Edited: 16 January 2014, 17:40
London, United...
Level Contributor
919 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marco Island or Ft Myers for kids?

Would recommend the Marriott if money is not a consideration. Wonderful pools, one childrens, with waterfall and slide. Many families use the 'adult' pool too. The pool area is right on the beach, which is magnificent.

IMO the facilities are the best of the 3 beachfront resorts, but that is reflected in the prices! Rooms are pleasant, most have good views, and the staff are just lovely.

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marco Island or Ft Myers for kids?

Marco Island is very family friendly!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
592 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marco Island or Ft Myers for kids?

We just returned from a 2 week stay on Marco. I personally would not take kids to Marco. If you just want to use the pool and play in the ocean it would be great. . It is very laid back ..lot's of elderly folks...not allot of attractions for kids. We loved it but we are in our 60's. It is a beautiful island..very easy to navigate. Any questions --just PM me. We rented a home but there are plenty of condo's on the beach to rent also.

Level Contributor
368 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marco Island or Ft Myers for kids?

As a parent of similar aged kids my vote goes to Ft. Myers. Yes, there is more commercialization but it is in no way like Daytona or Myrtle Beach with miles and miles of tourist attractions. If you are looking at resorts then check out the Pink Shell. In FM there is a pier, parasailing, parks, etc If you are strictly looking for beautiful beaches , then Marco is great but my kids would be asking to leave after five minutes. You might want to Check into Sanibel as we'll.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marco Island or Ft Myers for kids?

I think the choice between the two depends on the personalities of your kids. I have a 13 year old daughter that has been spending most of the summer in Marco since she was five years old and she doesn't get bored. She is VERY active and we keep her outside most of the time: biking, swimming, boating, etc. Since she is an only child, we started letting her bring a friend a couple of years ago & her friends always love the island, too. This summer will be our first time in YEARS not going to Marco (we are taking a one time trip out West) and she is already talking about missing Marco! Yes, Ft. Myers has more attractions, but that doesn't mean it's better for all kids!

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,834 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marco Island or Ft Myers for kids?

As said on another link ... Marco is a great beach vacation if you stay on the beach ... but it isn't a beach town like other Florida Cities. If you aren't on the beach then Marco is a residential community and not a beach town.

9. Re: Marco Island or Ft Myers for kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 05:18