We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton or Marco Beach Ocean Resort

Connecticut
Level Contributor
56 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton or Marco Beach Ocean Resort

My husband and I will be traveling to Marco Island to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary 6/1/2014-6/7/2014. I am trying to decide between MBOR or the Hilton. (Also like the Marriott but their rates are significantly higher and they do not have gulf front rooms available for these dates.)

I like the fact that perhaps MBOR may have less children around but I'm concerned about the small non gulf front pool, lack of restaurants and "stuffiness." I like the fact that the Hilton has more dining options and a larger pool as well as better proximity to other restaurants but I'm concerned this is more a family resort environment. To have all things equal in amenities(internet access, beach umbrella, breakfast, parking it will cost us about $200.00 more for the entire stay at the Hilton. We have never been to Marco Island before so my question is.... If it were your 25th wedding anniversary celebration where would you stay?

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton or Marco Beach Ocean Resort

Some things to consider:

- I would pick the room with the better sunset view (which is likely MBOR)

- $200 difference is not a lot for a 25th anniversary ;-)

- Sale e Pepe (MBOR) is an outstanding special dinner location

- Set up / building location of Hilton is more "normal" than the MBOR

- If this is your first trip to Marco I recommend a hotel, on your second trip you should consider a beach condo due to the higher costs of the hotels and larger condo space.

Edited: 25 April 2014, 18:07
yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,233 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton or Marco Beach Ocean Resort

Can only give you the benefit of our experience as we stayed at the Hilton last December - was also our special wedding aniversary.

We emailed the hotel before we arrived as a room with an ocean view was important to us. We were upgraded to an ocean front room with a balcony.

Could not have wished for any thing finer .... This was luxury... We could lie in bed and have a clear view of the beach and ocean....the views were spectacular, particularly the sunset.... Amazing colours.

Cannot fault the hotel, service was amazing with exceptional staff who went the extra mile for us.... They have a desk there that you can book trips from and the concierge will order you your taxis to take you to any number of local restaurants.....all free ... Just tip the driver.

On our last day, we received a bag of shells as a memento......

Marco Island...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton or Marco Beach Ocean Resort

We have stayed at both. What I enjoy about MBOR iare the free umbrellas and chairs at the beach, plus morning iced lemon water and afternoon sorbet served on the beach by the staff. Your room at MBOR will have a small kitchenette, plus a separate living room. And the bathroom is glorious. Hilton had more dining options, but the beach grill at MBOR was really pretty good. You charge everything back to your room. Staff at MBOR were so helpful. You'll pay for valet parking, but the valets are very good. The bedroom at MBOR was smaller than the Hilton, but it was a separate bedroom. HIlton had free chairs, but no free umbrellas.

Both pools were nice. MBOR pool is up higher (on top of the resort parking). If you do choose MBOR make sure you get a Gulf view room.

We have not eaten at Sale e Pepe, but I have heard it is excellent. You will need to dress up to dine there. I think men require Jacket and tie, women dressy clothing.

But if you don't dine there, you need to try Fin Bistro if you like fish. Excellent. Go early to avoid the crowd.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
226 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton or Marco Beach Ocean Resort

So, in Hilton what is the difference between 1 king bed junior suite Gulf view and 1 king bed junior suite DELUXE Gulf view?

Which room do you recommend (including value for money, sea views, etc)for two adults, late 30's thinking of staying for a week?

Thanks.

Marco Island...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton or Marco Beach Ocean Resort

We had the Gulf view, not the deluxe Gulf view. I think the difference might be closer to the end of the building versus closer to the street side. We did not get a higher floor either and were closer to the street end of the bulding, so not full on gulf view. More of a side view of the Gulf.

Marco Island...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton or Marco Beach Ocean Resort

Change my response. We did have the deluxe Guif view. Deluxe gulf view looks towards the North end of the island with the courtyard and pool area just below. The Gulf view looks towards the south end of the island with the tennis courts just below.

Edited: 08 May 2014, 17:16
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
226 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton or Marco Beach Ocean Resort

Thanks Minnie.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,038 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton or Marco Beach Ocean Resort

The Hilton building is perpendicular to Collier Blvd. So the Gulf beach end units have the best views.

The MBOR is horizontal to Collier Blvd. So each Gulf room has a similar view (lower rooms are subpar views).

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
4,335 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hilton or Marco Beach Ocean Resort

I returned yesterday from a wonderful stay at Marco Beach Ocean Resort. I also stayed at the Hilton 13 years ago. While my memory of 13 years ago isn't perfect, I still think I can help.

And by the way, we just passed our 23rd anniversary a few weeks ago. :-)

If I had to choose between the two, I'd very quickly and easily pick MBOR over Hilton. In my opinion it has a higher degree of luxury and amenities. The only thing I found stuffy about the place, but it was very VERY stuffy, was the restaurant Sale e Pepe. I'm 47, earn a great living, travel several times a year, but from the time I walked in until the time I finished eating, I felt like I was a juvenile intruder to my parents' restaurant. Even the piped-in music was of my parents' generation.

In the hot and potentially burning Florida sun, those complementary beach umbrellas were a lifesaver. Having waitstaff for full lunch and bar service was absolute heaven.

The valet parkers/bellmen were amazingly fast and efficient, as well as very pleasant.

MBOR has, I think, only 98 rooms/suites, which to me gave it a nicer and more intimate feel than the Hilton.

I must admit the location is a bit odd in that it is farther away from the surf than the Hilton is. We paid for a full Gulfview, meaning we were on an upper floor so that the restaurant building didn't block our view of the beautiful gulf.

I'm not at all saying you'd make a mistake by booking at the Hilton, but I found MBOR to be the better property for the luxury and nice touches that my wife and I seem to prefer at this time in our lives. There were very few children there, not even our own (who were away doing their teen travel camp).

[By the way, it's untrue that jackets are required at Sale e Pepe. In fact, the only dress code is no beachwear. I grilled our hotel concierge about it. I told her my wife and I brought no nice clothes, that the nicest I had with me was rip stop nylon cargo shorts and some polo shirts, and she said that was fine, that their only rule was no beach attire; she explained to me the laid back nature of the island and continued to assure me I was fine with the clothes I had. I wore those shorts, a nice v-neck t-shirt and plaid slip-on Sperry shoes, and I fit right in.]

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
226 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hilton or Marco Beach Ocean Resort

Thanks, Cleve. We gave already booked Hilton.

Get answers to your questions about Marco Island