We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marco Island - Beach near Marriott Hotel

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Marco Island - Beach near Marriott Hotel

It's my parent's 50th Anniversary and we're taking a first ever family trip and chose to go to Marco Island. We hope to rent a vacation home on Marco Island near the Marriott Hotel as there will be 10 of us, including a few young children. Here are my questions I was hoping you can help with:

1) Is the water calm enough for the kids and seniors (75+ non-swimmers) ?

2) I read on tripadvisor reviews that the South Marco Beach has many shells - is this a problem for little kids. Will we have to keep water shoes on them all the time?

3) Where is the closest public access point to the beach - closest to the Marriott on South Collier Blvd.

3) Where (what street) is the closest public restroom located?

4) Restaurants you can recommend to celebrate their 50th Anniversary?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marco Island - Beach near Marriott Hotel

I can answer a few of those questions for you and some of the other TA regulars should chime in on the rest.

1). The water in the Gulf is very calm and should certainly be pleasant for all age groups. If there is a store rolling in, it might get a bit choppy, but that is not the norm.

2). There is a line of shells, but it is narrow and not very close to the water's edge. Therefore, I would recommend the kids wear water shoes, sandals, or flip-flops (our personal favorite - easy on/easy off) until you are settled near the water. At that point, they should be able to abandon the shoes for the day.

3). I think the new public beach entrance is right by the Marriott. We always go to South Marco or Tigertail, so I'm not absolutely positive, but I am ALMOST certain.

4). There are no public restrooms that I know of in that area, unfortunately.

5). I have my favorite restaurants, but we usually stick with the same few casual ones - I will let someone else answer that question.

You will LOVE Marco - ENJOY!!:)

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marco Island - Beach near Marriott Hotel

Thank you so much MarcoMamma, this is very helpful !

With gratitude,

Magdalene

London, United...
Level Contributor
915 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marco Island - Beach near Marriott Hotel

I can confirm Marcomamma's answers to points 1 , 2 and 3 There is access to the beach between the North side of the Marriott Spa buiding, and the Madeira condo building. However, you should note that there is no public parking there, which might be a problem to you. There are so many restaurants on the island that it is hard to recommend without knowing your personal taste. Have a look at The Marco Review on line. It has lots of useful info.

http://cloud.digipage.net/go/winter2013/

lob
New York
Level Contributor
801 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marco Island - Beach near Marriott Hotel

Here is a a link to a thread about a new parking facility across the street from beach access

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34420-i302-k71849…

London, United...
Level Contributor
915 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marco Island - Beach near Marriott Hotel

I think Turtle Lot is nearer to Marriott's Crystal Shores than the Marriott Hotel. Can any locals/ visitors actually there help with this one?

lob
New York
Level Contributor
801 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marco Island - Beach near Marriott Hotel

Yes it is Clare. But due to no parking available at the Marriott entrance I threw this out there as another option.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marco Island - Beach near Marriott Hotel

If the OP rents a home near the Marriott as they suggest, many of those are an EASY walk to the beach. Hopefully, they won't have to drive!

To the OP - That may be a big consideration when looking at homes. It is a BIG plus to rent a home that allows for a short walk to the beach instead of having to drive and pay for parking.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marco Island - Beach near Marriott Hotel

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for your thorough response to my initial question. We plan to rent a home in walking distance to the beach so we don't have to drive. We'll definitely look out for the Turtle lot as an entrance - thanks for the suggestion.

Until next time,

Magdalene

9. Re: Marco Island - Beach near Marriott Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 05:15