We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walmart and Publix prices

New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Walmart and Publix prices

Hi, Me and my husband are going to Marco Island in a few weeks with our 3 kids. My question is I read there is a Super Wal-Mart a few miles away and a Publix, which is cheaper to shop at? Wal-Mart in NY are very decently priced and was wondering if I should by my toiletries here or be able to pack lighter and by them there. And how are the prices at Publix? never been to one before. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer my questions :):)

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
953 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walmart and Publix prices

Walmart is generally cheaper, Publix better quality / wider range of foodstuffs.

There is also a very nice Winn Dixie supermarket on the island.

Edited: 27 May 2014, 13:10
Maryland
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walmart and Publix prices

Good Junesky1229 as my family will also be on Marco in 3 weeks and I had the same question.

Also, since we will be arriving on Marco about 11:30 pm, is Walmart the only option for late night shopping?

I would rather shop that night so we can head straight to the beach in the morning...

Sussex
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
953 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walmart and Publix prices

The 2 Publix stores on the island close at 9pm, the Winn Dixxie is open until 11pm, but still too early for your arrival.

I would suggest the Walmart Superstore on Collier Blvd, on your left as you head to the island just after turning off (or crossing) the 41 is the best and most convenient option for you.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,052 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walmart and Publix prices

The closest Walmart to Marco is ...

Naples Walmart Supercenter Store #3417

6650 Collier Blvd, Naples, FL 34114, Phone: (239) 417-1252

10.18 miles from Marco Island

Monday-Friday 6 :00 am - 11 :00 pm

Saturday 6 :00 am - 11 :00 pm

Sunday 6 :00 am - 11 :00 pm

Naples Walmart Store #1119 - Open 24 hours

3451 Tamiami Trl E, Naples, FL 34112, Phone: (239) 793-5517

15.59 miles from Marco

The 24 hour Walmart is right off I75 and on the way to Marco is:

Naples Walmart Supercenter Store #5055 - Open 24 hours

9885 Collier Blvd, Naples, FL 34114, Phone: (239) 455-1131

16.73 miles from Marco

New York
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Walmart and Publix prices

thank you for your answers. Are the prices comparable to other out of state prices?

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,561 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walmart and Publix prices

I would pick up toiletries and a few other things at Walmart but prefer Publix for produce, meats, lunch meats, deli items. Huge difference in quality. Even Publix brand deli meats are pretty good altho they also have Boars Head. Things like cookies, cereal, toilet paper will be cheaper at WalMart. Winn Dixies stores on the gulf coast seem to be cleaner and nicer than many that we have here on the east coast. They usually have a pretty good produce department and a hot deli bar in their nicer stores. Good prices on wine too!

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
4,052 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walmart and Publix prices

Big Picture ... to me there isn't a huge amount of difference between Publix, Walmart, Winn Dixie. So I go to the closest grocery store to my rental .... which is Publix.

My parents always went to Publix ... "because they had the best prices". IMO they have good prices if you pick up the weekly flyer found in the store.

If Winn Dixie is closer/easier then you MUST get a loyalty card (ask for it and sign up inside the store) and buy the items on sale.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 17:25
Pembroke Pines...
Destination Expert
for Doral
Level Contributor
641 posts
600 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walmart and Publix prices

Food quality (meats, veggies, fruits...) are definitely way better in Publix and Winn Dixie than in Walmart. Publix also has most stores in So Fla so it is quite likely their store is going to be the closest one.

If you are buying in Winn Dixie get the Customer Reward Card. You can save on items in the store but also on most of the Shell gas stations on the gas (they are member of fuelrewards network).

Sussex
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
953 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walmart and Publix prices

I 100% agree that fresh food quality is significantly better in Publix and Winn Dixie than Walmart.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walmart and Publix prices

Walmart is significantly cheaper, but tends to have problems with produce. Their meat section is designed to minimize the need for skilled labor, and at least in my community, the deli is badly inferior, sometimes even out of stock, but worth trying for inexpensive cheese, such as made-in-Ohio Jarlsberg.