We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marco or Sanibel for Christmas Week

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
9 posts
Save Topic
Marco or Sanibel for Christmas Week

Hi everyone,

I've done a lot of research on this forum in trying to decide between Marco Island and Sanibel Island for a trip with my mother (who is in her mid-60's) during Christmas week (22-28). Right now my preference is Marco Island because it seems to be a bit more built up, and therefore I'm thinking that there may be more to do there (especially if the weather is not the picture perfect 80 degrees I'm hoping for). However, I was wondering if I should factor Christmas into my analysis. Will many places on Marco be shut down for Christmas Eve / Christmas Day? Are there Christmas events that we would be able to go to during that time? We certainly are not looking for anything crazy (my mom is usually in bed by 9:30), but I just want to be sure that we will have things to do. Does anyone know the answers to these questions as they relate to Sanibel?

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marco or Sanibel for Christmas Week

Marco Island would be my choice for Christmas week.

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marco or Sanibel for Christmas Week

I go to Marco for 2 weeks Christmas and New Year every year ... generally all the restaurants are open ... they are just starting up for the start of peak season.

Sanibel vs Marco comparison is an interesting topic of conversation on tripadvisor.com. I love Marco for its upscale, modern, natural (essentially in the Everglades), empty streets, long sandy beach living.

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Marco Island
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marco or Sanibel for Christmas Week

LOVE Marco Island at Christmas time. Have spent the past 8 holidays there. I have not spent a Christmas holiday on Sanibel, though. I cannot think of any place on Marco that is closed during the holidays. The island will be lit up with lights. Restaurants will offer a holiday meal. It is really a great time to be on the island. If weather is an issue, there is plenty to do on the island: Shopping, movies, restaurants, trip to Naples, excursion to Everglades, etc.

New York City, New...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Marco or Sanibel for Christmas Week

Thanks everyone, we have booked Marco Island for Christmas week! Can't wait!

Dayton, OH / Marco...
Destination Expert
for Marco Island, Everglades National Park, Goodland
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marco or Sanibel for Christmas Week

You would enjoy either place ... take a day trip up from Marco ... it is an easy drive ... come back and let us know what you liked.

6. Re: Marco or Sanibel for Christmas Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:17