We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling with two kids, weather 1/1/07

New Jersey
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
traveling with two kids, weather 1/1/07

I am planning on going with my two kids, 5 and 3. Is it warm enought to use the beach? Does anyone know what the water temp may be?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I have never been there before and i am hoping to get there. I am trying to plan a vacation for this satl any suggestions on where to stay too????????????

thank you

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,626 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling with two kids, weather 1/1/07

try www.accuweather.com and type in the city where you are going. It will give you a 15 day forcast which is usually close to be accurate. We our having our first real cold spell this year. It is supposed to be 45 degrees tomorrow. So even if it warms up right away the water will be chilly. Lots of people still swim in the winter that are from up north as they are used to the colder temps. I live on the east coast so can't help you with places to stay.

Marco Island,FL
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling with two kids, weather 1/1/07

The water is fine, come on in.... For current temperatures see

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/egof.html

Marco Island temps should be similar to Naples which is about 12 miles to the North.

For lodging go to Google and type in Marco Island rentals. There should be a lot of great options.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i7780-Places_to…

New Jersey
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling with two kids, weather 1/1/07

THank you very much for the very helpful information. I appreciate it.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling with two kids, weather 1/1/07

I used to take my kids to Florida in January every year when they were little. Even if it was too chilly for hubby and I to swim it never seemed to stop them, I'm sure you're kids are the same!

Suggestions: go to the dollar store down there and pick up a few items that will keep them entertained at the beach (scoops, kitchen utensils, plastic army men). Wal Mart sells plastic kites that snap together for 2 or 3 dollars. The beach is the perfect place to fly a kite, constant wind and no power lines. They'll love it. Don't forget to lather them with the sunblock. Pick up a loaf of bread and see if they enjoy feeding the gulls on the beach. There's a chance they might get spooked, but if they love it, it is cheap entertainment that they will remember for a long, long time.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
894 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: traveling with two kids, weather 1/1/07

And if you see a fishing marina off the side of the road, pull in at dusk. The fishermen will be standing dockside cleaning their fish with dozens of hungry pelicans begging for scraps. I would politely ask them if my kids could throw the scraps to the pelicans and they were more than happy to do this. This is better than a trip to the zoo.

Marco Island,FL
Level Contributor
573 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: traveling with two kids, weather 1/1/07

Zeebo has an excellent suggestion about visiting the marinas around 5 PM when the fishing charter captains come into port. They will clean the fish at the dock for their clients and the birds will be waiting and watching for them. It's certainly a riot!

You can go to the Snook Inn around 4 PM and watch the boats as they are returning from the gulf. Then go to the Marco River Marina (just 1/2 mile away) and watch the birds.

7. Re: traveling with two kids, weather 1/1/07

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 18:20