We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions on shelling excursions on Marco Island...

Which Marco Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indiana
1 post
Save Topic
Opinions on shelling excursions on Marco Island...

Am taking the wife and 2 daughters to Marco in a few months. The kids love shelling, so I'm wondering if hiring a private boat company to take us around to some good shell spots for a few hours is worth it?? I've looked on the internet and found several to choose from, but don't know how to narrow it down.

Any good experiences? Cost? Any recommendations?

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions on shelling excursions on Marco Island...

Back in July, we took Cross Cruises (catamaran) and it was fantastic. They only take 6 at a time, so it is a nice quiet sail to the island for shelling. We spent about 45 min on the sandbar and found fabulous shells.

The captain Hugh Cross was very amiable and helpful and full of interesting facts about Marco Island and the surrounding area.

Hope this helps and have a great time.

A note; Marco is very expensive,s o be prepared to spend a lot for meals while on the island.

A great restaurant to try is Arturo's. Fabulous italian fare, flawless and friendly service. We loved this place so much, we ate dinner there 3 times during our 8 day stay. we stayed at the Hilton and Arturo's was just a short drive north from there, maybe an 8 minute trip to reach the restaurant from Collier Boulevard.

Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions on shelling excursions on Marco Island...

We went with the company that picks up on the beach near the Hilton, although our excursion departed from the marina. Going to the uninhabited island was fun, but most of the shells were live and could not be taken. The ones we did gather (not live) took me about six months to soak in a buckets of bleach solution before the smell went away completely. On our trip we did see dolphins on the way, but the boat captain and "naturalist" did not seem very interested in providing much information (acted very bored) and we did not tip them at all. I would recommend someone else for the money.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions on shelling excursions on Marco Island...

on our first trip to marco our daughter was 8 years old and we hired a guy who took us on an ECO trip for acouple of hours... he was a lad in his mid late 20's I think and cost c £120..... we thought it well worth while... He told our daughter so much about the animals/sea life in florida...he took us to a couple of small island for shelling (ankles got really bitten by the sand flies)....an educational trip without her realising it!!

I will dig out my old copies of the Marco Review and see if I can find the advert.. I come back to you!

4. Re: Opinions on shelling excursions on Marco Island...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 08:20