We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sebastian Inlet State Park

Which Melbourne Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
WenWillitB
Level Contributor
148 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Sebastian Inlet State Park

I am going to Orlando & was looking for beaches to visit. In the Orlando forum someone suggested this beach & mentioned that sea turtles nest here. Does anyone know about this?

East Coast of...
Level Contributor
586 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sebastian Inlet State Park

Sebastian Inlet State Park is a beautiful place, and yes, sea turtles most definitely nest there and for many miles in both directions. The park is within the 20-mile stretch of the Archie Carr National Wildlife Refuge, which is home to the highest concentration of nesting sea turtles in the United States.

Nesting peaks in June and July. For a couple of months after that, you may get lucky and see dozens of babies emerge from a nest and scamper for the ocean.

It's not illegal to be on the beach at night during nesting season, but keep in mind that nesting mothers are easily spooked by the presence of people, which is why hordes of careless gawkers would be a bad idea. Your mission will be much more successful if you know how to be a responsible observer, or you may want to attend a guided "turtle watch."

Loads of information here:

www.floridastateparks.org/sebastianinlet/

seaturtlespacecoast.org/main/page_home.html

www.cccturtle.org/seaturtleinformation.php…

I think a road trip from Orlando to Sebastian Inlet is a fantastic idea. Along the way, consider stopping at the fairly new Barrier Island Center for the education and the view:

www.cccturtle.org/barrierislandcenter.php

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,485 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sebastian Inlet State Park

Sea turtles nest along a lot of the beaches on the east coast. You don't have to go all the way to Sebastian Inlet, however it is a nice park and sometimes you can see manatees, dolphin and various fish feeding near the jetty's. There is only 1 small concession stand there so either pack a cooler and maybe even a picnic lunch or plan on just having a snack there and heading back to Melbourne Beach / Indialantic or Downtown Melbourne to eat. If you are staying near Disney in the Kissimmee area you can take SR 192 across to A1A which takes about 1 hour, then head south. It's about 30 min. to Sebastian Inlet. There are a few little parks along the way with beach access and many turtle nests will be near this area too. If you actually want to see the turtles themselves you need to be there either very early am or around sunset or just after. Seldom do they come out midday. Hatchlings however will pop out anytime. We were fortunate to see some leatherback turtles hatch last year.

WenWillitB
Level Contributor
148 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sebastian Inlet State Park

Thank you both. I have to say 20 miles is a lot of beach to look for sea turtles. We are leaving for Orlando on June 12th so I guess it's the start of the season & won't be seeing any hatchlings. We don't plan on being a disturbance to the turtles & can't join the walks, i've looked into it & they're all booked.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,485 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sebastian Inlet State Park

Here is the link to Brevard County Parks. The ones with the Melbourne Beach address will be the ones you want. brevardparks.com/visittheparks/…prksa1.php

You will be able to see the tracks where the 4-wheeler driven my the wildlife agent goes as they check the nests daily. Most nests are in the dunes or near them.

East Coast of...
Level Contributor
586 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sebastian Inlet State Park

If I'm not mistaken, the county parks close after dark, so parking may be an issue. Sebastian Inlet is open all night. Depending on your stamina, you could spend the afternoon having your beach day and exploring the park (it really is a great spot on the Florida coast). Then you can catch a sunset and wait for those prehistoric beasts to crawl out of the ocean.

Another good option, especially if you're in need of refreshments, would be to head to Sebastian Beach Inn, a restaurant, bar and juke joint about five miles north of the inlet. It has a large oceanfront deck, a comfortable vantage point from which to scope out the turtle action. If you're lucky, you might also hear some pleasant tunes coming from the stage.

http://www.sbiseaside.com/History.htm

Bear in mind that even during the peak of nesting, there is no guarantee that you will see a turtle. For reasons unknown to mankind, any given stretch of beach may see turtles by the dozen one night, and nary a one the next. A clear, moonlit night at low tide makes their tracks and big black domes easy to spot when they emerge from the surf. It's a thrill to see. I hope Mother Nature smiles on you.

Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
343 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sebastian Inlet State Park

This park was great! We say manatees in both the ocean and the inlet, as well as sea turtles and dolphin. For 8 bucks, this place is a great value. I highly recommend it!

7. Re: Sebastian Inlet State Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2011, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Melbourne Beach