We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation

Which Melbourne Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Petersburg...
1 post
Save Topic
transportation

I am planning a trip to the Melbourne area in December and as I do not have personal transportation, I wanted to know if there is a bus system or regular shuttle of any kind. Not only within the city of Melbourne itself but along the beach areas on Highway A1A. I would like to visit sebastian inlet state park and the Mclarty treasure museum. Failing that, is there a bus system that will take me along the west side of the intra-coastal waterway to any one of the bridges that cross over. Are these bridges open to pedestrian traffic? I realize that I may be crossing a county line and may have to make a transfer of some sort. Thanks.

Mike Hill

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,749 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation

Here is the link for the local bus system. It covers much of Brevard County. As you said you may need some transfers but it will take you most places. http://www.ridescat.com/

You can walk the causeways to cross as many people here do that for excercise. You will find it a little crowded in the late afternoons. It's actually a nice walk altho Melbourne causeway is under construction on the east side of the bridge.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,749 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation

Forgot to mention, you will have to take a taxi or rent a car to get to McClarity. Our bus system only goes to Indialantic and north. They don't even go to Melbourne Beach which I thought they might but I don't see it on their route. There is no public bus system at all in Indian River County. If you wanted to see the Mel Fischer Museum located on US Hwy 1 in Sebastian instead of McClarity you might try Greyhound. Not sure if theres a regular bus stop for them in Sebastian near the museum. You could take the SCAT bus across Melbourne Causeway and then get a taxi but it would be costly.

3. Re: transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Melbourne Beach