We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location

McMinnville, TN
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Best location

I've been looking for a small house or cottage at Mexico Beach for my husband and myself in June. I would like to be within walking distance of the beach. I have seen several possibilities that are across Hwy 98 from the beach. How much of a problem is crossing the highway while pulling a beach cart, etc? Also, if we stay in the area and want to drive to the beach are there plenty of places to park? If so, what area? And also, I had been under the impression that there were several restaurants in Mexico Beach, but clicked on restaurants and only saw four. What is the situation about places to eat? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best location

I don't think it is a problem to get across the hwy if you stay across from the beach. There is a lot of traffic but it is pretty slow going and people seem to pay attention for those making their way across. (We have only stayed on the beach side of 98)

I can't tell you much about restaurants as we do a lot of our own cooking but if there aren't enough places in Mexico Beach it is only a short drive to Port St. Joe where you will have lots more choices for dining.

Edited: 07 January 2014, 19:27
McMinnville, TN
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best location

Thanks for that helpful information. I've been taking a look at Port St. Joe to see if we might want to stay there.

3. Re: Best location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 21:05
Louisiana
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best location

Port St. Joe is a neat town but remember that you will be on the bay there....not the gulf itself. Now there's nothing wrong with the bay but there is a difference so it is all about what you want.

McMinnville, TN
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best location

I didn't know that at first but realized it after looking at Google maps. I'm trying to decide if I want a nicer place for less money and drive to the beach or get one close and pay more.

Port Saint Joe...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best location

We live two blocks off the beach and walk to it every day. No problem at all ...if you are sober. I amost kill several tourists every season as they love to try and cross the road while drunk, at night, wearing dark clothes!

There are plenty of places to park along the beach and plenty of beach access points.

Restaurants;

Sharons - 0600 to 1400, breakfast and lunch, good food, cash only so we always know who the tourists are lol

Toucans - breakfast lunch dinner, served my wife raw shrimp, powdered eggs were nasty too, never went back

Mango Marleys - breakfast lunch dinner, expensive for what you get, we like their wings, live music in season

Graba Javae - behind laundry mat - breakfast & lunch, decent, we like to chill on the outside deck

Beach Pizza - food poisoning waiting to happen, two sick evenings was enough

Rustic Sands RV park - lunch & dinner, burgers, pizza, salads, beer, bonfire/live music in season, awesome

Fish House - I can microwave my own food, thanks

Killer Seafood - outstanding, with an interesting staff

Shell Shack - cleaned fish to cook youself, also steamed shrimp, local institution

Blue Marlin deli - breakfast & lunch, newer spot with excellent fare and very nice owners

Regans - loud bikers aren't our thing, maybe we picked the wrong night (to be fair)

McMinnville, TN
Level Contributor
53 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best location

Thanks for taking time to share that helpful information. Our trip is coming up in a couple of weeks. We're looking forward to our visit to Mexico Beach.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best location

Alyssa, thanks so much for the food list! We heard "great things" about a couple of places and I wasn't quite so impressed. Nice to get a local's take on it.

9. Re: Best location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Mexico Beach
Recent Conversations