We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone tell me what the beach is like???

Millersburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Can anyone tell me what the beach is like???

Hello! We are considering a family vacation to Mexico Beach next year. We've been to SGI and Beaches of South Walton previously. When we were in SGI it was 9 years ago and we rode out a hurricane that was downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it hit us. Anyway, we loved SGI for the quaintness and the fishing was phenomenal for my husband. We weren't able to get a true feeling for how clear the water was because of the storm. When we stayed at Beaches of South Walton we were at Dune Allen Beach and stayed another time at Santa Rosa. I'm curious to find out if the water is as clear at Mexico Beach as it is at the South Walton area. We loved the beach and the clear, beautiful water at South Walton, but it was so much more commercialized the last time we were there! All we need is a beach, pool and a place to buy our own seafood to make at the house. Any of your advice would be helpful and much appreciated!

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
568 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone tell me what the beach is like???

Like anywhere along the gulf coast, water clarity depends on the weather, currents, and various patches of seaweed, sea grasses can show up on any beach along the gulf coast. Living within day trip distance, we've visited them all, many times. We've driven through MB many times, and stopped there to play in the water on our way to/from camping on Cape San Blas several times and never noticed any difference (compared to PCB, Destin, Pensacola, the beach side of Cape San Blas) except that it's not very deep (from waves to dune line) in most spots. MB is well west of where the water gets somewhat murky in the bay at Port St. Joe. The atmosphere is fantastic in MB, IMO, no chain stores, just owner-operated businesses, houses, a few smallish hotels. Looking at satellite pics should show you the beach by where you're considering staying. If we were to rent a place at the beach, MB would be one of my first choices of places to investigate (if not in company of teens who want a location with more 'stuff' like water parks, go-karts, para-sailing.)

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,924 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone tell me what the beach is like???

I agree with purpleinopp regarding clarity. I actually go back so far that when I lived in Destin there were 350 full time residents. You might want to go see Mexico Beach while it is still there. I spent years down at MB and Beacon Hill before transplanting up near The Great Smokies.

If you are after seafood to cook at the house I'll suggest The Shell Shack (anyone can tell you where it is) and if you are seeking a rental house try Barbara Harmon at Harmon Realty. Nice Lady; tell her Jef said "hey!"

Millersburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone tell me what the beach is like???

Thank you for the feedback! Jef, I'll contact them for sure! I've spent most of my summer vacations on the Gulf and there's no other place like it! Growing up we would be at Siesta Key and like many spots it grew too big for my families liking. I know what you mean about the seaweed and storms. We actually don't mind some seaweed. My husband loves picking through it and looking for tiny creatures that have washed in with the kids! Our kids are 5 and 3. When we beach it, it's about the beach and pool:). My husband is a big fisherman up here in Ohio and loves to surf fish at the beach also. Does anyone have a recommendation for good fishing at MB? Thanks again everyone!

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,924 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone tell me what the beach is like???

I don't surf fish so much as liking to find deep water. If you go into Port St. Joe (about 20 minutes) when you cross over the bridge you go a couple of red lights and you will see The Pig on the right. (Piggly Wiggly) Turn right at this light at McDonalds the go about a half mile and you will dead end at a park. There are some restrooms there, places to park. Tell your hubby some interesting places to drop a line are about a hundred feet before the restroom AND at the very end of the road where the boats come into the marina.

Fishy Fishy!

Dawsonville, Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can anyone tell me what the beach is like???

Love the beaches at MB. Like you we have stayed in many places on the Gulf, Fort Walton, Destin, etc. We discovered MB 2 years ago & LOVE it. We are a large family & our kids are 17, 16, 6 & 2 & they all love MB. We go for the beach not attractions. We also surf fish & have cought lots of different fish. I have seen several sharks cought from the beach (small ones). The shell shack can get you set up with the bait you need. Check out this forum for more info: http://mexicobeachfl.forumotion.com/

It's new but lots of good info.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 17:56
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can anyone tell me what the beach is like???

We just got back - what I loved most about the beach were the number of shells and the white sand! We did a VRBO house directly on the beach and it was awesome!! I was told that it was the crowded season but there were only a handful of people on the beach. MB is quiet - we swam, fished from shore - just caught little ones, fished from the pier - caught more variety but small, rented a ski-do for an hour ($100), rented a kayak for the week delivered to our door from the Barefoot Kayak at the Shell Shack ($240/wk) which we used every day right out back on the beach into the gulf - even fished from the kayak. There were two sand bars on MB so you could go out pretty far and be up to your waist -neck - then waist again. The waves weren't big enough to body surf - part of every day the gulf was perfectly calm. Was told the week before the waves were 3ft and boogie board surfing was great. Visibility was a few feet on the MB beach. We spent two days at St. Joe National Park on Cape San Blas - awesome to snorkel in shallow water and see a lot of sea life and it was crystal clear to the deepest part of about 5 ft. Didn't go any deeper there. Sunsets were beautiful. The beach was beautiful, quiet, and great for our family vacation. We seriously didn't want to leave.

7. Re: Can anyone tell me what the beach is like???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2015, 23:15
Get answers to your questions about Mexico Beach
Recent Conversations