We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami with kids - 2 days

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Miami with kids - 2 days

Hello all,

I am looking for some advice from locals... I'll be road tripping Florida for 2 weeks with my husband and 2 kids (5 and 7) from The Netherlands. We'll arrive in Miami Friday evening (April 27th), have Saturday and Sunday to spend in Miami and then we'll head to the Keys, Everglades, Orlando and Cape Canaveral. So what to do in the 2 days? We'll be tired and jetlaged, waking early and going to bed early... Kids will want to build a sandcastle but I want to see Miami's typical neighbourhoods...

We'll have a rental car (mustang convertible - hopefully!) and an apartment near little Havana.

Specific questions:

- Would it be fun touring around the city in the car? In Europe I would not dream of bringing a car to the city centre, but in America… ? (Sorry, first time holiday in USA)

- Will the shops be open on Sunday? Are there some neighbourhoods that are better to worse to visit on Sunday?

- Is a boat tour a good idea? (I saw the Duck tour but worry it won’t be fun for my kids who don’t speak English)

- I saw there is a farmers market on Saturday in Bayfront and on Sunday in Lincoln Road – is it worth planning around one of them?

Thank you for your advice!

Rianne

3 replies to this topic
miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,649 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami with kids - 2 days

Rianne>

SAFETY -

Little Havana is a working class neighborhood with some areas more busy than others. Be aware that petty crime can happen anywhere, so do not leave anything of value inside the car. Understand that a convertible top could get slashed if someone wants to get inside. Don't leave anything in the car to tempt a crime.

Questions

- Having a car will make the 2 days fun! Do a beach day relaxing the first day and explore the second.

- Shops are open Sunday

- For fun day: Drive to Bayside Marketplace to find many choices of tour boat - fast and slow.

Near that area is a brand new science museum (Frost) and perhaps Jungle Island may have

reopened by the time you arrive (currently under repair after the hurricane). This would be a

full day's plan for you to enjoy with the kids and not too far to drive. You may leave the car in the car park at Bayside and take a 5 minute FREE monorail to the Frost Museum.

- The farmer's market is mostly vegetables. Not sure you will find this entertaining. If Jungle Island is not open, Zoo Miami would be a fun alternative but is a bit farther to drive. The Zoo could also be a good stop the morning you drive down to the Keys because it is south of Miami and on the way to the Keys.

This is my guide map for your Keys Drive -- www.tinyurl.com/KEYDRIVE-AG

AG

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miami with kids - 2 days

Thank you so much for your quick reply, very helpful!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
15,816 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miami with kids - 2 days

Pack a picnic lunch and spend some time here: http://coralgables.com/index.aspx?page=611

please verify hours and remember its a bit expensive to get into.

before/after your lunch/swim enjoy a ride through Coral Gables.

Reply to: Miami with kids - 2 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted