We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't decide between Miami or Houston

Which Miami hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Can't decide between Miami or Houston

Hi,

We (husband, my 4 yr old son & me) have lived in Illinois for 2 yrs. We now live in London and have a chance for a 2 week holiday. Have to choose between Miami & Houston, and can't decide which to choose. Which would be a more fun place for a 2 week holiday?

Thanks

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't decide between Miami or Houston

I've been to both and I vote Miami, no contest. Houston is a big city with shockingly little charm; I have fun when I go there but I go to see family. Houston is not a very interesting place, IMO.

Miami has a very tropical, international feel to it. Plus beaches. It has South Beach, with art deco buildings right on the beach that create a wonderful feeling to the place. You can take all kinds of side trips around Florida if you want, to the Keys, the Everglades, Disney World, etc. St. Augustine is interesting. Seaside is a planned community in the panhandle that is fascinating if you have any interest in architecture or urban design.

I'd go to Miami, rent a car and have a great time. Your son will thank you for it; any time he needs a break, you can head to the beach.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't decide between Miami or Houston

If you wouldn't mind, would you give a hint as to why you are attracted to Houston? That would help the people on this forum make comparisons for you.

And, you know, a short airplane flight would allow you to visit BOTH cities. Two weeks is a long time either place.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't decide between Miami or Houston

Agree with both above. I've never been to Houston, but have friends who live there, plus my husband has visited his college roommate who lives there several times; I've never heard anything from any of these people that makes me think, "Oh! let's go to Houston on a vacation".

I wouldn't want to spend 2 whole weeks in Miami either. But it is a nice vacation destination, and close enough to other great destinations so to plan a wonderful 2 week vacation. You could spend part of your vacation on the beach in Miami; visiting several area attractions such as the Metro Zoo; Jungle Island; Seaquarium; Fairchild Gardens, plus other gardens and museums in the area. If you're going to be there during a cooler time of the year, the Everglades are nearby and worth spending a day or so exploring. (very hot and buggy during the summer months) Include a stop at Everglades Alligator Farm http://www.everglades.com/ watch alligator shows,etc. and take an exciting airboat ride through the 'glades. Robert Is Here, fruit stand http://www.robertishere.com/fruit_stand.html is just down the road from the alligator farm and has the best fresh fruit milkshakes; he also has a lot of animals around back that the kids love to see.

If I were going to be in the Miami area, I'd also include at least a few days in the Florida Keys; it's a short drive but a totally different atmosphere/environment than Miami. (In fact I'd spend most of my time in the Keys; but I have "Keys Disease!") Lots of family friendly things to do/see there....if you decide you'd like more info/ideas for the Keys post a topic on the Florida Keys forums.

-With a 4 year old, you might want to consider a trip to Disney World; it's just a 3.5 hour drive from Miami. Our family loves Disney World; we've been many times, but my most favorite trips were when my kids were 3-6 years of age. It was truly "magical".

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,882 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't decide between Miami or Houston

I've been to both and see nothing to attract you to Houston at all- just a big city- if you want a little western flavor San Antonio , TX or Austin , TX would be good spots for tourits- but Houston ( and Dallas) really have nothing much to offer in the way of tourism.

I agree with the otherss though that even in Miami you should plan a week somewhere else in Florida as part of your trip.

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't decide between Miami or Houston

A really big thank you for all the replies. I thought that Miami/ Florida would definitely be a better option. The replies help me assert my choice more firmly now.

Nomonoloco,

The reason for Houston was that we're actually visiting for 2 weeks for a visa stamping for UK (the processing time is our holiday time), turns out the consulate at Houston has lesser applications than the other places, so Houston turned out to be among the choices. We also had a choice for Miami.

We leave tomorrow but yet have time to change our tickets to Florida.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,189 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't decide between Miami or Houston

With a young child, you might want to consider spending the bulk of your time on the West Coast -- the beaches are gentler (less surf and undertow), and things are much slower-paced (not boring, just slower paced.)

Anna Maria or Sanibel should be on your list to consider.

And other than visiting friends, I can't come up with a reason to visit Houston, either.

7. Re: Can't decide between Miami or Houston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2010, 04:18