We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing a show at the Arsht, should we stay downtown, C Grove

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Seeing a show at the Arsht, should we stay downtown, C Grove

We are driving down from Stuart to see a show in mid March. We want to spend the afternoon sightseeing or poolside and have a nice dinner before the show, and not have a long drive afterwards. We live near the beach, and have stayed in SoBe before, so that is not a neccessity for us and it being season, the price of the SoBe hotels makes that look less appealing. But it does seem like a short drive, many hotels, interesting restaurants and I always love the old buildings. Downtown would be convenient, but does not seem like much to do (please, no Bayside for me). Would Coconut Grove or Coral Gables be a better option? We are pushing 50, nightclubs are not an option for my DH anymore, but nice restaurants and a non touristy, interesting neighborhood sounds like what we are looking for. We love unique architecture, can't stand to shop, if this helps.

Miami
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeing a show at the Arsht, should we stay downtown, C Grove

I wouldn't stay downtown since there is really nothing there to do except very touristy Bayside, unfortunately Flagler Street and the rest of downtown have seen better days. The beach is always going to be a nice option if you find a good price and good hotel. The Grove, is more a bar neighborhood, which also has the mall Cocowalk. Personally, if I weren't staying on the beach I would stay in Coral Gables around the Miracle Mile area, which is a nice place for a stroll and home to some very good restaurants (Randazzos is one of my favorites, and they also have huge portions). I know there are a bunch of nice little hotels in that area, but since I live here I dont really any names. After South Beach, Coral Gables is the nicest place to stay in Miami and it has a more Mediterranean feel versus South Beach's Art Deco.

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeing a show at the Arsht, should we stay downtown, C Grove

I do like Coral Gables, I stayed at the Biltmore once, fabulous! Alas, we don't have the budget for the Biltmore, we are going to Priceline or Hotwire a hotel and take what we get.

Any reviews on Prelude by Barton G in the Arsht, for dinner before the show, or should we eat somewhere in the Grove?

3. Re: Seeing a show at the Arsht, should we stay downtown, C Grove

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2010, 06:19