We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to avoid Spring Break in Miami

England
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
How to avoid Spring Break in Miami

Dear all,

am in desperate need of help! My parents are off to Miami for the 1st time next month. They arrive on March 23rd for 11 days which is right in the middle of Spring Break.

They are well into their 70's and not really Spring Break types! Please advise where to stay. Should they avoid Miami all together and head for the Keys?

Please help because I am getting a bit desperate. My mum and dad are really excited about their first trip to the States and I need to make sure they stay in a nice, quiet part of town.

Thanks,

Sean (from England)

Naples, Fl
Level Contributor
641 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to avoid Spring Break in Miami

Can they come across the State to Naples, Fl?

We have no real spring breakers here and your parents would fit right in. It is about an hour and 1/2 away, if they do not have a place to stay already booked they they could consider Naples.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to avoid Spring Break in Miami

Hi, Sean!

I think one of the nicest hotels for visitors who want a quiet atmosphere and refined service is The Biltmore, but it is in Coral Gables. Without the beach and clubs, Coral Gables, as a town, is more sedate and The Biltmore is smack in the middle of an upscale residential neighborhood. Since it has a fabulous pool and three excellent restaurants it isn't hard to imagine spending 11 days there enjoying Florida weather! However, it is not the kind of location where you stroll out the door and start sightseeing. Everything becomes a bit of a day trip, requiring a rental car, taxi or limo service. Of course, they'll probably need transportation wherever they stay. Eleven days is a long time!

Best to your travelers!

Miami, FL
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to avoid Spring Break in Miami

Spring breakers who can afford Miami Beach are generally far better behaved than the animals depicted (mostly in fiction) in the movies, so you need not be overly concerned. As to Naples, I've been there during spring break & they DO have spring breakers, the nicest & best behaved I've ever seen, probably (my theory) because they are staying with their grandparents.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
502 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to avoid Spring Break in Miami

I agree with the Biltmore suggestion, and would also suggest the Ritz on Key Biscaynne (if they can afford it). Miami is a big city - and not the quietest of locations - although many people in that age group rent condos and stay the winter. You won't come across many spring breakers, except a little on South Beach. I think Naples is a great suggestion, but the keys are also fabulous. If they want quiet and low-key, the Florida Keys are magic. No need to panic though. I can also suggest 3-4 days in Miami and then spend the rest in the Keys. Best of both worlds.

England
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to avoid Spring Break in Miami

Many thanks for all your help to everyone who has posted. I've put your suggestions to my mum + dad.

Thanks again.

Sean

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,414 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to avoid Spring Break in Miami

How are they going to get around? Are they still drivers (and have they found a rental company who insures over 70's?).

The reason I ask this is that public transport in general isn't the best in Florida, but there are good areas to stay in that regard. But getting form town to twon (ie Naples) will require some expensive shuttles perhaps, or short haul flights.

So my recs would depend on if they have a car or not. Naples would be high on my list if they could get there (and get a place to stay as availability may be tight this late). Miami beach has buses that go up and down ocean drive/Collins ave.

7. Re: How to avoid Spring Break in Miami

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2010, 05:16