We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Renting a Car

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about Renting a Car

Just in 3 weeks I will be going to Florida, arriving at MIA and then heading to Orlando for 7 days and then coming back to Miami for a couple of days. I have been doing some research about the car rental and because it's already summer, is not very cheap to do one way trip. I really don't think I will use a car in Olrando, but any way we have free self parking at our hotel. I was seeing that a car from Miami to Orlando will cost us about 70 usd in total. Then the car from Orlando to Miami (staying some days in MIA) is about 450. In total it will be about 520 plus gas.

I was checking also that there is a great offer with Thrifty/Dollar (same price) for a Dodge Challenger for my whole vacation and the total is 280 usd!!! So most probable is that I go for that option. My only question is to choose Thrifty or Dollar, I once tried Thrifty in Houston and just found it normal. I also heard is more probable to have an upgrade in Thrifty. Im not a member of neither T or D award progams but I will subscribe.

And finally do a dodge challenger be fine for me and my two kids and about two to three medium bags? I still hope to get a Chrysler 300 or a Buick!!

Thanks

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,438 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Renting a Car

You seem to have worked out your questions already.

I think most of the car rentals at MIA have by now moved to an immense new parking-garage facility that was under construction when I was last there in January.

Thrifty is a big operator at Orlando airport and should be fine at MIA. The Challenger should be fine if (1) the back-seat kid can live with minimal knee space and (2) if neither kid hates muscle cars. Bags will be fine. It won't be a convertible, after all.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Renting a Car

Sorry for my poor language, but English is not my first language

What is a muscle car?? I think that my main questions will be:

Which company should I choose Thrifty or Dollar?

In which one is more probable to have an upgrade?

What are the similar cars for the Dodge Challenger? (full size)

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,438 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Renting a Car

I should have paid more attention to your location.

A "muscle car" is an American two-door car that is intended to look like a sports car, or actually be one. Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro, Dodge Challenger. The Dodge Charger is considered a full-sized car. It would apparently be your most likely upgrade at Dollar or Thrifty.

I do not have enough experience with these car rental companies to predict which is most likely to provide an upgrade. Maybe someone else will help.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Renting a Car

Thanks a lot for the information.

Now I just need to think in which company to rent. I might just go with Thrifty because I have already tried it in TX and in Hawaii.

Right now Im reading many opinions and they all say that they are pretty much the same thing, same location, same price, even same car (??)

Anyone that have tried renting in these two please coment!!!

Thanks

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,438 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Renting a Car

Dollar and Thrifty are owned by the same company, Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group.

http://www.dtag.com/

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Renting a Car

I

know that, but there most be a difference between both

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about Renting a Car

I

know that, but there most be a difference between both

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,438 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions about Renting a Car

Normally, if a single company has two brands, the brands are different. Sometimes, if the company is the result of a recent merger, one brand may be waiting to be eliminated (example: Wachovia Bank was bought by Wells Fargo. The Wachovia branches are gradually being renamed). Dollar and Thrifty seem to offer the same cars, so I'm not sure there is much difference.

Apparently Hertz and Avis are competing to purchase Dollar Thrifty.

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about Renting a Car

There is a good chance that when you arrive in Miami the new car rental center will be open. If that is the case, you will have all of the car rental companies in one place and you will be able to shop them all.

At any rate as long as you rent from the large companies, you should be fine. These include Avis, Hertz, Thrifty, Dollar, National, Budget, Enterprise, and so forth.

If you have a good deal on the Dodge Challenger I would go for that. Upgrades are possible (for a fee) free upgrades are hard to come by, particularly if you are not in a reward program.

Saludos - and I hope you enjoy your trip.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about Renting a Car

What I think Im going to do is to arrive to miami with both reservations and I will go first with Thrifty because I have already rented with them. Im also going to susbsribe to the Blue Chip Award.