We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ESTA Requirements

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
ESTA Requirements

Hi we are planning a holiday to Belize in May. We will be flying into Miami and staying there for one night before catching our connecting flight to Belize the next morning so will require ESTA's to enter the US.

As a 17 year old 27years ago i received a criminal conviction for possession of cannabis (i know) and also received a caution for the same offence in1998 will these stupid offences stop my eligibility to apply for an ESTA and if so how will i be able to gain entry into the US?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,062 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ESTA Requirements

This is a tough one. Normally a 'controlled substance' conviction would mean a VISA not esta. But as you were under 18 it would be a youth offence and would surely have been expunged from your records now?

Maybe go to your local police station and fill out the form for a records check- you'd need one to apply for a VISA anyway. If it doesn't show up, then I suppose you would be good to go the the ESAT process.

If you use the visa wizard, or contact the embassy, they will say come for a Visa interview. They say this to pretty much everyone, just to be sure. And because there are fees ;-)

I might be inclined to ask this on the Orlando forum. Embarrassing I know, but there are lots of brits there, many with an astonishing number of convictions lol. So some might have been thru this for themselves or a child and know the answer.

Edited: 31 January 2011, 13:00
Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ESTA Requirements

Thanks amanx just applied and got approved so no worries they obviously know im a good boy now lol

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ESTA Requirements

Of course you have been approved since you answered no to all questions. While in fact according to the rules you are not eligible for travel under the visa waiver program.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,062 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ESTA Requirements

pbuyse,that may or may not be true.

I am still uncertain about offences committed by a minor in this context.

Whatever the truth, i hope the OP is consistent during questioning and I hope he does a CR check to make sure.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ESTA Requirements

Based on this line taken from the visa wizard, it does not seem to matter at what age the arrest happened.

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any reason in any country, even if the arrest did not lead to a conviction, or do you have a criminal record? Please note: the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to U.S. visa law. If you are unsure, press YES.

6. Re: ESTA Requirements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2012, 10:16