We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilton Downtown or Hyatt Regency for Sony Ericsson

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Hilton Downtown or Hyatt Regency for Sony Ericsson

We are coming down for the Sony Ericsson Tennis Tournament (first time going to tournament!). We have the Hilton Downtown booked, which seems to get good reviews. The package we booked includes shuttle to the tournament, but closest pick up is at Marriott Biscayne Bay. It doesn't look like a very far walk on the map, but is it okay to do this walk at night? Some of the reviews seem to indicate the location isn't the greatest at night.

My other option is to try to switch to the Hyatt Regency (shuttle picks up directly there). The reviews don't seem to be quite as good, but it might be more convenient.

On another note, we will have a car (driving down from Tampa), so maybe it's easier to just drive ourselves to the tournament....??? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. If anyone has been to this tournament and has any tips, that would be appreciated as well :)

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,809 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilton Downtown or Hyatt Regency for Sony Ericsson

fsu>

Any way you get to the Open requires passing along Rickenbacker causeway to the site and - traffic. If you want to drive you sit in traffic burning gas and patience. And then you pay to park.

So perhaps sipping a cool drink on a shuttle is best.

The Hilton and Marriott are only across the street from one another so you can walk easily. Parking your car WILL be the expensive component you should research up front. ANY of the 3 choices will be fine.

My downtown Guide should at least help you eat well - www.tinyurl.com/PORT-AG

AG

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilton Downtown or Hyatt Regency for Sony Ericsson

A lot of people get the impression its not safe because the area around the Marriott does get a bit desolate at night and I guess that freaks people out. I have no concerns personally walking through there at night, although I admit I wouldn't loiter for long.

In the later rounds traffic to the Open becomes a nightmare, and even if you drove, you would still have to park 1-3 miles away and take a shuttle bus for the last leg (or walk if your in shape and adventurous).

If you could easily switch your shuttle by all means do it, if not don't sweat it, you'll be fine. You might also ask the shuttle driver if he would mind dropping you off at your hotel when he's done- a couple of dollars sometimes works wonders.

Yogi.

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilton Downtown or Hyatt Regency for Sony Ericsson

Thank you both!!

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
431 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilton Downtown or Hyatt Regency for Sony Ericsson

FSFan,

We are doing the same thing and looking at hotels. Did you decide to stay at the Hilton? And did you talk to the hotels regarding shuttle service times.

We went to the Open last year on a Sunday. No traffic but we went early right when the gates opened. Not sure what it will be like on a weekday(which is what we have this year).

I had thought about staying onthe beach side but am getting nervous abouttraffic to the shuttle.

thanks

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
431 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilton Downtown or Hyatt Regency for Sony Ericsson

Also,

The Courtyard is just a block fromt he Hyatt and their shuttle. Is this a good, safe option? Might be willing to go back to the evening matches if the area is safe to walk at night.

Thanks

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilton Downtown or Hyatt Regency for Sony Ericsson

Tomn3,

So far, yes we stayed with the Hilton. Have been to lazy to call to see if we can change. We booked the "Bronze Package", since we were planning on staying for 3 nights anyway. I priced it out separately and it ended up being a better deal than if we bought our tickets separately since we planned on going to at least 4 sessions. The shuttle tickets are included in the package price. Good luck :)

Merritt Island...
Level Contributor
431 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilton Downtown or Hyatt Regency for Sony Ericsson

Thanks,

I was booked in the Hyatt but on the last step it said the shuttle is $12 per person. So the cost of the room, parking AND the shuttle! Too much.

I continue to look.

Tampa, Florida
Destination Expert
for Tampa
Level Contributor
1,836 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hilton Downtown or Hyatt Regency for Sony Ericsson

Tomn3,

Look at the "Bronze Package" on the open site under Vacation Packages. If you are going for 3 days it is a decent deal compared to pricing it out separately. If you are going for less time or are not going to the Open everyday, then probably not.

9. Re: Hilton Downtown or Hyatt Regency for Sony Ericsson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2012, 11:16