We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs and Immigration in Miami International Airport

washington
Level Contributor
88 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Customs and Immigration in Miami International Airport

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I will be making connection through Miami International on Jan 1, upon my return from Central America. Would someone please tell me how long it generally takes to go through customs/immigration at MIA. I will be connecting to a domestic flight.

Thank you very much for your advise.

Little Havana Food and Walking Tour
176 reviews
from US$58.99*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
378 reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Miami Speedboat Tour
49 reviews
from US$38.00*
Miami Everglades Airboat Adventure...
272 reviews
from US$78.00*
137 replies to this topic
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs and Immigration in Miami International Airport

Miami airport is a joke ! -I have stood in line for immigration for over an hour many many many times.

We now always allow 3 hours from expected landing til departure of connecting flights.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
9,061 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs and Immigration in Miami International Airport

It all depends on how many other flights are in ahead of yours. Be sure there is a next flight available in case you miss the one you booked.

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs and Immigration in Miami International Airport

As a United States Citizen, it shouldn't take you more than hour to clear immigration/customs. It will depend however on the load at the time of your arrival.

Saludos,

Yogi

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
585 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs and Immigration in Miami International Airport

It generally takes me an hour to clear both Immigration and custom, but usually less. What I have found to be a bigger pain is the Airport expansion for AA - MIA has become pretty big. On some of my incoming flights from South America I had to walk quite a bit, even with the new Sky Train. Just this part takes 20 minutes - plus 40 mins for immigration, and custom.

Don't rush to clear immigration anyway, since it takes a little while for the baggage to come. If you are a US citizen or the lines are not that long, you will most likely have to wait for your luggage.

Colorado
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs and Immigration in Miami International Airport

Warning to all continuing passengers clearing customs and immigration through Miami. It is a nightmare! If you can avoid this, try to do so. My husband and I returned from a great vacation in Tobago on March 16th only to encounter backups of thousands of US Citizens and foreign visitors trying to clear customs and immigration. It took us over three hours to get through immigration and collect our bags. By this time, our ongoing flight to Denver (the last of the day) had departed forcing us to rebook 24 hours later and rent a hotel room in Miami. We already had a room paid for in Denver which was fully deposited so that money was also lost. We saw hundreds of other passengers similarly effected with many having to rebook flights. Something must be done about this. It has taken close to an hour in the past, but 3 hours???? Management of immigration in this airport reflects very badly on this federal government department and on our country to international visitors.

washington
Level Contributor
88 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Customs and Immigration in Miami International Airport

Immigration is part of the problem of MIA. It is an airport that requires long walk between domestic and international and from gates to rental car. I also cannot believe this airport does not have a recycle program in this day and age!!! It's unbelieveable!

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Customs and Immigration in Miami International Airport

My record is 4 HOURS on a Saturday in January of this year after flying in from London on a BA flight -it landed at 6.30pm -we left the airport at 10.30pm and then had to find a hotel.

Level Contributor
8 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Customs and Immigration in Miami International Airport

Take a child, you then become an annoying queue jumper as customs wave you to the front! Yes I am one of those people!

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
324 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Customs and Immigration in Miami International Airport

My average in the last 35 entries to MIA being non-citizen has been 80 mins. My only advice....go to the far right booths. Tend to fill up less and run smoother. Murphy law applies. Best of luck.

And whatever you, don't "take a child"... ;)... That can certainly put you through some trouble :)

Bloomfield...
Level Contributor
58 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Customs and Immigration in Miami International Airport

Uh oh ... We're coming home from CUN airport connecting in MIA in June. My flight is supposed to come in around 7pm and my layover is only 2 hours connecting to BDL. Do you think we'll make it?

Reply to: Customs and Immigration in Miami International Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted