We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

british airways or virgin?

Which Miami hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
Level Contributor
28 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
british airways or virgin?

We are looking at flying to miami from london in May next year, previously we have flown with virgin but am wondering about trying british airways instead as they have more choice in flight times. Any feedback/views on either would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Birkenhead, United...
Level Contributor
832 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: british airways or virgin?

I cant comment on the Miami flight but have flown with BA to New York four times and it is one the plane they use for Miami. I have found them helpful and on time at all times and cant fault them, I used Virgin to Orlando last year and had a nightmare - maybe just bad luck, but we will use BA to Miami next year as you say they have a great choice of flights.

Droitwich, United...
Level Contributor
437 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: british airways or virgin?

Flying BA to MIA at Christmas and have used bith VA and BA in the past.

Much of a muchness really you pays your money and takes your choice.

Personally like BA if you get a good crew but VA look after kids well.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: british airways or virgin?

Agree with Spatan, not much between both airlines but Virgin do seem geared up to look after the kids/family. We are travelling to Miami in January and have booked the early morning shuttle from Manchester to Heathrow and then the 0945hrs, BA flight to Miami on the 747.

I wouldnt knock either airline really, they all have their good and bad points.

Essex
Level Contributor
28 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: british airways or virgin?

Thank you all for your imput, very much appreciated. Hope those of you who are going in the next few months have a wonderful time

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
167 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: british airways or virgin?

Just be careful that you are buying BA flights - I have made the mistake of buying a BA code share with American Airlines - not happy :-(

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
491 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: british airways or virgin?

It depends upon the class you are booking. I much prefer Virgin Premium to BA.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: british airways or virgin?

Hopefully I am not too late to this discussion as I have a LOT of info! I am from London and live in Miami, so do this journey 4 times a year. I only fly BA and Virgin usually...

I flew BA when I first moved... nice flight times (I like the 1:30pm ish time so no early morning!) and good seats. BA service is wonderful and it feels slightly posher than Virgin who are a more 'fun' airline to fly with. However... I agree, be VERY careful which flight you pick and do NOT, I repeat not fly under the AA codeshare flight as you will be on an American airlines flight which is awful. Awful how? Well, it's terminal 3 for a start, at a gate about 5 miles from departures, they show about 5 movies, you cannot pause them, they start when they want to every 20 minutes, alcohol is not free, the list is endless. Not a fan.

However I stopped flying BA recently due to all their strike nonsense. I don't trust them as much and who wants a cancelled flight when they are due to fly on holiday?

As for Virgin. Love them! Honestly, I cannot fault them. Check in is a breeze as they have their own dedicated part of term 3. Staff are always really nice and helpful. The flight is comfy, they have so many movies and free stuff to give you. And best of all, last year when the snow at Heathrow caused dramas, my flight was cancelled and they did everything they could to get me home in time for Christmas. I have booked them again already for this December.

Premium is better in BA, but overall, Virgin are great, and usually slightly cheaper.

Jess (Hope this helps!)

Essex
Level Contributor
28 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: british airways or virgin?

Thank you all once again for your input, I think we will probably stick with virgin. Am keeping an eye on the prices, hopefully they will drop a little soon and then we'll book!!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
401 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: british airways or virgin?

Hi i have been looking for flight to mco for xmas with Ba & virgin but they are exspensive. Its cheaper to fly into Miami. with Ba .We really wanted 5 nights on

st petes beach but thinking now to stay in Miami are they the same sort of hoiday. Then we thought of driving to orlando for 6 nights is it a long way?

Droitwich, United...
Level Contributor
437 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: british airways or virgin?

babasouth

We are flying BAinto MIA in mid December and staying in Punta Gorda area. Its a few hours away but close enough for travel south to the Everglades and Keys. Not really needing to go to Orlando so exploring the South this time around. Journey to Orlando from MIA is good 5 hours on the most boring road known.