We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Coral Gables vs. Airport Area?

Which Miami hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Coral Gables vs. Airport Area?

Hi,

I'm looking for a hotel for my trip to Miami and I can't justify paying the high rates to stay in South Beach. I will be having a car to get around Miami, so, I was thinking of staying either in Coral Gables or near the airport, as the airport is not that far from South Beach?

I'm not planning on laying on the beach all day but rather touring the city as well as go shopping and try out nice restaurants. It will be a 2-night stay only.

Also, what's to do in Coral Gables or Coconut Grove? Is it woryh considering a hotel in downtown Miami since I heard there's not much going on there anyway?

Thanks for your help and input.

Edited: 02 November 2011, 15:04
Miami, FL
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Coral Gables vs. Airport Area?

I'm not aware of any Coral Gables or Coconut Grove hotels that are much lower cost than those on Miami Beach. You won't need a car on SoBe, but you will in the Gables or Grove, so consider that in terms of extra cost. If you want to save $$ on South Beach stay in a hotel that's a few blocks off of the beach, or in central or North Beach. Bus transport on all of Miami Beach is frequent & low cost (The South Beach Local is only 25 or 35 cents).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Coral Gables vs. Airport Area?

I did some research on hotels and found that hotels in SoBe are kind of shabby looking, yet they still charge $200- $300 a night for a 3-star hotel. They are mainly privately owned hotels. I can pay the same for a 4-star hotel with bigger chains (Hyatt for example) in CG.

I will rent a car either way as car rentals in Miami are cheap (compared to NYC or so), plus I wanna see other areas as well, other than just SoBe.

If somebody can answer my original question, that would be much appreciated. TIA.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Coral Gables vs. Airport Area?

Both Coral Gables and Coconut Grove are walkable neighborhoods, with restaurants and stores and a pleasant atmosphere. Coconut Grove is probably livelier, there are some college hangouts there.

I would stay in one of those neighborhoods rather than near the airport, where you'll be marooned in your high rise hotel.

Consider bidding on Priceline if you decide on Coral Gables or Coconut Grove--that constitutes a geographical area for Priceline purposes, and I have had many great deals bidding on the highest level hotels within that area.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Coral Gables vs. Airport Area?

Thanks Needsavacation for your comments. I will more likely consider Coral Gables then. :) I will definitely look into bidding through PL as well.

How would you compare staying in Downtown Miami? Will traffic be really bad (rush hour) and parking more expensive?

TIA!

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Coral Gables vs. Airport Area?

If your idea of staying in a good location and you refuse to stay in South Beach, then Downtown Miami is great choice. If you want to go budget and since you have a car, I suggest the new Hampton Inn in downtown or boutique Hotel Urbano.

I really think you should reconsider though. You should stay on South Beach and make a day trip to Coconut Grove/Key Biscayne/Coral Gables.

Most of the trendier shops/bars/restaurants/clubs are in Sobe. When you see most images of Miami, chances are they are from Miami Beach.

Downtown can be expensive to park, most hotels want to charge $35/night valet. Its better to use public transport in downtown. There are other limited parking options. A car is useful in downtown to get to other neighborhoods, the Keys, and the Everglades where you must use a car or book a tour.

Yogi

6. Re: Hotel in Coral Gables vs. Airport Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2012, 05:15