We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Pickup and Return at MIA

Easton, PA
Level Contributor
3 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car Pickup and Return at MIA

I don't know if this has been previously posted but all the major rental car companies are now located in a new central parking garage east of the airport between NW 21st/25th streets and 37th (Douglas Rd)/42nd (Le June Rd) avenues, about 1.5 miles away.

Access to and from the terminals is by an automated, free people mover. The people mover terminus is centrally located on the 3rd (uppermost level) near the parking garages at the F-Terminal. It can be a long walk, especially from the J and D terminals, even with the moving sidewalks.

Rental car exit from the structure is easy once you reach it. Depending on where your rental company is located on the three levels you might have to make an entire loop inside the garage to reach the exit. You can make a left turn onto 21st Street to get to 37th Avenue (Douglas Rd) or a right turn to get to 42nd Avenue (Le June Rd).

Rental car return can be a real pain and I had lived in Miami for 22 years. The best way is to use only Le June Road from the north or south and follow the signs. If you try to use the old approach from 37th Avenue to NW 21st Street you will have to make an almost complete loop (over one poorly marked mile) of the area around the rental car garage.

If you try to make a shortcut by turning onto NW 25th Street you will have to make a U-turn at a posted "No U-Turn" location. I noticed a Miami-Dade Metro police car parked on NW 39th Avenue during the day, just out of sight of anyone who would be making the illegal U-turn on 25th Street.

Allow at least 15-30 minutes of extra time for rental car return now.

Sydney
Level Contributor
354 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Pickup and Return at MIA

Thank you for your valuable insight

British Columbia
Level Contributor
215 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Pickup and Return at MIA

Based on your 15 -30 min. time estimate I intend to do the following:

Return the rental car the night before & use the free hotel shuttle back to the hotel & again to the airport the next morning.

Would this be a good option ?

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car Pickup and Return at MIA

Economy Rental Car (and some others, but I'm not sure who they are) is off site. We still had to go to the MIA rental car center from our gate, and then call Economy which picked us up promptly and took us off site to do the paperwork.

It wasn't bad at all.

Returning the car though was even better--we went to the off-site office (easily found near the airport) and then were driven by Economy staff to the departure terminal, bypassing the car rental center completely. Saved us lots of time and aggravation.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
10,978 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car Pickup and Return at MIA

Where is the best place to return a car if you are not flying out of Miami. ??

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car Pickup and Return at MIA

I returned a car to the rental return center last week and could not believe the route I took following their signs! It was the most twisted convoluted trip I have ever taken.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,356 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car Pickup and Return at MIA

Compared to the previous offered drop-off of the shuttle directly at your departing check-in, the new solution with the people-moover and then schlepping your luggage all around the airport is not at all practical. Calculate a lot of time for this last leg of your journey, as the moving sidewalks are old and in an old and not very welcoming part of the airport and sometimes you even have to go down stairs. Next time we will try to get a cab at the rental center, dropping us off at the check-in as previously the shuttle did. Usually you are already dressed for the flight and dont want this additional hassle.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car Pickup and Return at MIA

We rented in Miami in Nov and enjoyed the new facility and the people mover. Just give your self an extra 30 minutes. We rented with Sixt car rental for first time and would recommend them. WE had no issues and excellent service. They had the best rates when we booked a week before our trip $110/week. YOu need to keep checking website as rates continuously change. Try Breezenet.com.

8. Re: Rental Car Pickup and Return at MIA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 02:40