We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding attire question

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
746 posts
Save Topic
Wedding attire question

I need your advice as to what is appropriate for a mid- March wedding.

The dress is semi-formal. The wedding will be in the afternoon, outdoors on grass.

I am really blank on this one.

Where I live, one would probably not have a semi-formal (as I understand it) wedding outdoors, certainly not in March because of weather.

Possibly semi-formal has a different connotation in Miami. For me it would be cocktail dresses.

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Speedboat Sightseeing Tour of Miami
70 Reviews
from US$38.00*
Little Havana Food and Walking Tour...
252 Reviews
from US$58.99*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
394 Reviews
from US$65.00*
US$75.00
Miami, FL
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding attire question

If it were in the late afternoon, cocktail dresses would apply or a short airy dress could also be in order. Even though our weather is hot, we follow the same dress rules as the rest of the country for events.

The only difference I have seen is for formal events for men, it usually means a tux with no tie, or a suit....but then again I tend to show up to events in a straw hat and a NASCAR T-Shirt ;-P

Isn't a LBD always appropriate?

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
746 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding attire question

Thanks, Miamiyogi.

A LBD is almost always appropriate; that's for sure, but in some places people don't wear black to afternoon outdoor weddings.

Color is one of my questions.

This is a family wedding and I don't want to embarrass them! Otherwise, I wouldn't be very concerned.

Wheat Ridge...
Level Contributor
6,522 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding attire question

Why not ask the bride what she expects? These "formal", "semi-formal" secret codes drive me buggy.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
746 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding attire question

Thank you, Wheatie.

I plan to speak to the MOG, just wanted some local background first.

Thanks to all.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
746 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding attire question

Thank you, Wheatie.

I plan to speak to the MOG, just wanted some local background first.

Thanks to all.

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
14,394 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding attire question

S>

My rule? When in doubt, pack 2 choices!

Miami semi-formal in March is probably your "summer in Oklahoma." I'd suggest something cocktail length and a light wrap if the reception is held indoors where the A/C will no doubt be on full throttle. Also leave high heels in the suitcase if you hope to tread lightly on grass/sand or other natural turf.

Wear what suits you - though some local weddings specify white I know it is often the only color reserved for the bride...

AG

Mentioned in this post
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
746 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding attire question

Thanks very much advisorgirl!

I have a temperature question, but probably should post a separate question.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding attire question

I have the same problem for a beach wedding this summer.. i settled for a shimmery silverish short, flowing cocktail dress. .. anything light, pretty and NOT black OR white, should do.. a plus for the wrap and flats :)

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
746 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding attire question

Your outfit sounds perfect, levanna.

It would be perfect for my occasion as well. Please send me a duplicate!

10. Re: Wedding attire question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2013, 10:19