We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Memorial Day Weekend

Which Miami hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, Alabama
1 post
Save Topic
1st Memorial Day Weekend

There are a lot of us coming to South Beach this year on Memorial Weekend. We are all staying at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach On Collins Ave. Is this a good location? And would it be wise to rent transportation?

miami
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
13,694 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Memorial Day Weekend

jon>

No car! Parking and traffic make it a bad idea...

If you are planning to go to South Beach to join in the party, i am not sure renting a car is a great idea because traffic is at a DEAD STOP during the weekend. Police set up some road blocks in the main party area on Washington around 5-15 streets and kids from all over DRIVE HERE and then circle and cruise creating a jam of epic proportions!

I believe your best bet is to plan to get down to South Beach / Lincoln Road Mall earlier in the evening by taxi (save this number to your phone) 305-532-5555 and then have something to eat and walk around from there. My guide to the area has fun places to eat and bars to drink that will not cost a fortune so ( save it to your phone) :

www.tinyurl.com/SOBE-AG

Otherwise you might get stuck at one of those places where a drink is $25!

I live here and I will give you some help with the traffic -

From the Fontainebleau, ask the taxi driver to get you to South Beach via Pine Tree Drive or Prairie Avenue which are LOCAL RESIDENTIAL streets that will avoid traffic and roadblocks. Also good ways back to the hotel.

If you take the main roads you will be sitting in a cab with the meter tick tick ticking away your money and not moving at all.

AG

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Memorial Day Weekend

Great advice from AG. I will only add that Fontainebleu is a very good choice for Memorial Day weekend, about 3 miles north of the really busy area yet easy to get to by taxi or bus. Don't rent a car, both parking and driving wil be a big problem.

3. Re: 1st Memorial Day Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 18:16