We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activating mini sunpass

Stawell, Australia
Level Contributor
559 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Activating mini sunpass

Hi

We are travelling in, and around, Miami in December and realise that there are cashless tolls in the area. As we are renting our car through Dollar it is our plan to purchase a mini sunpass prior to arriving in the Miami area (we will be on road trip and travelling to Miami from New Orleans).

My question is regarding activating the pass - from what I have read we would need to phone up to activate the pass, however, at this stage we will be travelling without a cell phone - is there another option for activation...

thanks wendy

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,909 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Activating mini sunpass

Use a pay phone - they are still available. Or ask the store clerk where you buy the Mini to use their phone. It should be a no-charge call.

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,436 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Activating mini sunpass

Those stickers will not be all that easy to take off the rental car windshield, and they don't sell the regular transponder at Publix anymore.

You can also activate if you have a laptop www.sunpass.com

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activating mini sunpass

Hi Wendy, it also takes several hours to activate, to be on the safe side I would give it 24 hours. Make sure they take down the plate number of the rental.

Ah-ha what is this payphone device you speak of? ;-)

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,915 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Activating mini sunpass

Yogi, you take this nickel, see, and....

nevermind.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,909 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Activating mini sunpass

Ha ha ... was it ever a nickel?

m
Destination Expert
for Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
6,915 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Activating mini sunpass

Yes, for the longest time. I don't think it was ever below 5c, but it was that well into the 1970's (at many places, some had switched to 10c by then). In the very early days before payphones there were "pay stations" with a full time operator who collected money based on the duration of your call, and I assume placed the call for you. (This concept still survives in some foreign countries).

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,990 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activating mini sunpass

If you are not going south of Miami ( like south of MIA airport and on to the Homestead Extension of the Turnpike,) I doubt you would need a SunPass of any kind as I think there are cash options in every other stretch of highway. You might e-mail the Sunpass Office to verify in case they have made changes I don't know about further north- but last I knew only the stretch of Turnpike south of Miami into the Keys was completely cashless and elsewhere in the state if you stay out of SunPass only lanes you would never need a Sunpass of any kind nor would you need to take the Sunpass option from Dollar..

It is a complicated situation though and easy to get confused.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,990 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Activating mini sunpass

If you want to contact Sunpass directly with your routing to be sure there are cash options for all of it

https://www.sunpass.com/contactSunPass

Kissimmee, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Activating mini sunpass

did not know you ask so many question

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
672 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Activating mini sunpass

Whatever you do don't get roped into the transponder scam that Dollar/Thrifty has going. They will hard sell you a $50.00 transponder and scare you into buying it, thinking you will be penalized for not having one, but the reality is there is nowhere in Miami that you have to go on one of the THREE cashless freeways in the area. That's right, there are only three - the turnpike, Don Shula Expressway and the Snapper Creek Expressway, and only certain portions of those - and there is no need to drive on them to go to any of the main tourist areas. They are great to have if you're commuting to and from work from Florida City or the Keys, but for basic tourist travel decline the transponder and just don't use those three stretches of highway.

Best advice is not to use Dollar/Thrifty/Sunshine - they are the main scam artists. Hertz, Avis, Alamo, National, all are better about that - you are charged only a nominal amount and only if you actually use the Sunpass lanes - if you don't use them you don't pay.