We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Night in Coral Gables?

Which Miami hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
One Night in Coral Gables?

I will be spending one night in Miami on Friday, November 9, and am interested in staying at a hotel in a walkable area with good (not too fancy) restaurants and low-key nightlife. I fly into FLL in the morning and will be driving to Key West the next day. I am male, 29, and traveling by myself.

I was in Miami 2 years ago (almost to the day) and split my stay between the Mayfair Hotel in Coconut Grove and a "hip" (read: not very good) boutique hotel in South Beach, so I've seen most everything already. My primary interest this trip is checking out the Venetian Pool in Coral Gables, assuming the water is warm enough to swim in, and taking a stroll along a beach. (Is it, and recommendations?)

I am thinking of staying in Coral Gables itself. I don't want to break the bank either, so I'm also considering booking something downtown through Priceline. However, I don't want to get stuck with expensive parking fees and don't remember downtown being especially nice/active at night. Thoughts?

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Night in Coral Gables?

Coral Gables could be a good fit. There's a Courtyard by Marriott very near the "Mile" (ie main street) that has a shuttle to/from the airport. You wouldn't need a car except for your desire to get to the Beach.

The Venetian Pool water is the same temp all year -- and to me it is always cold.

Lots of restaurants in the Mile, many serve single diners at the bar so you could wander and find something you like.

Another option for you could be Key Biscayne. Nice beach and you haven't seen that area yet. Not really a walkable place, you would want a car.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Night in Coral Gables?

Thanks for the tips. I hadn't considered Key Biscayne, so I will look into it too.

A quick web search indicates the Venetian Pool is kept at 77 degrees year-round. I might reconsider, as I prefer pools that are kept at 80+. Might as well be in the ocean otherwise.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
270 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Night in Coral Gables?

Gables Is fun - sort of a college town - I say sort of as is was upscale. Key biscayne is neat - might be an idea but you are secluded from "stuff"

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Night in Coral Gables?

I have used Priceline many times to book hotels in the very limited area described as "Coral Gables/Coconut Grove." Either place would fit your description of what you're looking for. Got a room at the Hyatt Regency for $125 ten days ago; other hotels (in the highest star category offered for that geographical area) that I've been assigned to by Priceline bidding have been the Westin Colonade (also in Coral Gables) and the Sonesta Bayfront and Mayfair, both in Coconut Grove. You do have to pay for parking at all these though.

Good luck.

Pittsburgh, PA
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Night in Coral Gables?

Great bookstore in Coral Gables, I think on Aragon Avenue, called "Books Books and Books."

durham
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Night in Coral Gables?

Just returned from Miami visited Venitian pool,but unfotunately closed due to repairs.sorry i hane no idea when ie will re-open

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Night in Coral Gables?

Thanks for the warning about the Venetian Pool. I'll make contingency plans!

I went ahead and booked through Priceline. I stayed at the Mayfair last time I did this, which was not my favorite place, so I bid on a 3-star hotel instead (to play it safe) and got the Residence Inn. While it would have been nice to stay in Coral Gables, Coconut Grove will do. Can't beat the price--$79+tax, including Wi-Fi and breakfast. Makes paying for parking less of an offense. :)

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One Night in Coral Gables?

The Venetian Pool was open and operating when I was there. It was a rather quiet Friday afternoon, save for a photo shoot that was going on. The water temperature was pretty comfortable too; seemed a little warmer than 77.

The Residence Inn was nice if not nondescript. Much better than the Mayfair, plus the free breakfast was an added bonus. Just like last time, I parked in the municipal garage for the low price of $5. I think it was a shorter walk than from some of the on-site parking!

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Night in Coral Gables?

I hope you were "discovered" in the photo shoot and wil now be a Miami celebrity!

Thanks for posting back - -glad you had a good stay.

10. Re: One Night in Coral Gables?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2013, 10:15